Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

7 Likes

I’ve a better satire. It’s from Der Spiegel

DER SPIEGEL: Do you not worry that future generations could hold you responsible for what may prove to be one of the biggest mistakes in British history?

Davis: Oh, I’m certain that Brexit will be a success. Remember, every single major issue in our history is one where you might be right or wrong. Appeasement before the Second World War, we might be right or wrong. Suez, we might be right or wrong. But big changes demand that you don’t run away in fear from a decision. And, of course, in Brexit lies a risk as well. But I’m not remotely concerned that we are wrong.

6 Likes

Yes, that was my point, too.

“A vote on whether to paint a house a guaranteed-to-please-everyone colour (colour to be decided later)”

3 Likes

Does he think we were right or wrong on Suez?

Enquiring minds want to know.

5 Likes

One half of the nation voted to shoot the other half in the foot. Which was nice.

As Private Eye points out desperate individuals will soon be crossing the world’s busiest shipping lane in tiny rubber boats seeking Brie.

2 Likes

Does he think they were right or wrong on appeasement? It’s hard to tell…

4 Likes

I am glad that you are explaining all this to us. British parliamentary procedure looks really complicated to the untrained eye.
rules

3 Likes

It’s ok.

Both HMRC and the French have committed to not checking the accuracy of any customs documents in Calais or Dover post Brexit even in a ‘no-deal’ (at least in the immediate aftermath), so we can just smuggle the stuff in lorry-loads.

They’ll just check that you’ve got the right forms filled, not whether what you’ve said is true.

1 Like

That’s the ‘Legislation for Dummies’ explanatory note…

As is often the case, trying to simplify the original text doesn’t really make much difference.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/13/enacted

As for the bizarre parliamentary shenanigans, I think MPs alternately hate and love it. For some of them it reminds them fondly of their schooldays:

Others secretly enjoy the panto atmosphere and the sense that they’ve arrived (by behaving the same as the toffs).

And then they see it on telly and realise they look a lot of plonkers.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the break-down. Even more complicated than I thought. Guess I was right; I don’t know anything about UK politics :slight_smile:

Isn’t it the usual plan for these situations?

This is the only approved brewed drink for coping with Brexit

7 Likes

Ah, the ol’ purple tin.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this beer, but immediately laughed when I saw “9.0% Alc. Vol.” alongside “Please Drink Responsibly” on the same large single-serving can.

You’re correct, of course. The only effective response to this omnishambles is:

6 Likes

The pound has been tanking; I don’t think it’s ever been so low. Historically, 1 pound sterling is worth far more than 1 US dollar. For instance, the first time I went to the UK in 1981 the exchange rate was $2.67 to £1; right now it’s $1.29 to £1 (and has been as low as $1.22).

2 Likes

It’s one of Britain’s most notorious tramp juices, only consumed by the homeless and teenagers who want to get drunk as quickly as possible. Someone did a review of it, reading it is better than actually drinking it yourself.

https://sustainablealcoholic.com/post/24136357142/beer-review-inbev-tennents-super-strong-lager

3 Likes

Two nations divided by a common language indeed.

9% in what looks like 16 Oz cans … damn.

ColdCockJWayne|nullxnull

Indeed.

Does this look right? :

7 Likes

7.5% or 8.4% (depending on when you’re talking about) in 3 litre bottles - under £2.

From the blog linked to earlier:

Incidentally, I’m not going anywhere near any white ciders. You’ll have to find another, more daring blog to find out the subtleties of Diamond White or White Lightning. Bring on the barleywines, strong beers, super lagers and extra stouts. And maybe Buckfast.

5 Likes

FYI

1 Like