Prison sentence for Spanish woman who tweeted jokes about the assassination of Franco's fascist successor

As insensitive as Fascists are to human needs, they are extremely sensitive regarding their needs.

Why are they so misunderstood?

1 Like

I can’t figure that one out either, Sir or Madam.

6 Likes

Can you make jokes about the inquisition or will that land you in hot water as well?

4 Likes

2 Likes

It is not that. I mean, is not that she was found guilty for insulting a head of state.

It is all about “insulting the victims of terrorism” which, according to the AN, is something they can even prosecute if no victim of terrorism comes out and says they feel “humilliated” by your jokes. Even the greatdaughter of Carrero Blanco has said that while the jokes may be tasteless, she feels this is ridiculous. Apparently the AN has the duty to ensure we are all very respectful and sensitive to others, provided those others are not, say, people the Nationals shot and thrown into a mass grave. That is better deal with collective amnesia.

And yes, now everybody is tweeting and putting more Carrero Blanco jokes in Facebook.

4 Likes

I am well aware of this, but it is concerning that both Poland and Spain seem to be drifting back to authoritarianism.

“Is Carrero Blanco dead?”

“Do we need a thread for that?”

<Is Rob Ford Dead?>

1 Like

In fairness, I wouldn’t depend on the US public to defend my freedom of speech beyond anodyne praise of the local majority denomination and comments about the weather that cannot be construed as related to a position on climate change.

Luckily, we have (sometimes effective) safeguards that take this problem into account.

There have been issues with way the European Arrest Warrant system is used (both disproportionately and in cases which may be politically motivated or based on flimsy evidence), which is obviously scary if European countries are becoming more authoritarian given how much power it gives countries to force extradition.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.