Prisoners sent to Christian "rehab" diversion programs find themselves in forced-labor camps

I have a feeling that organised scumbags have been getting their inspiration for business models from dystopian SF…

3 Likes

YOUR HONOR! I FOUND A DIVERSION PROGRAM FOR YOU TO SEND ME TO!

6 Likes

IDK if SCOTUS would (or should) agree, since the program is technically voluntary - you’re welcome to just stay in prison, after all.
Sadly there wasn’t a better non-religious option available, and also sadly the War on Drugs is a thing at all.

1 Like

simpsons-hail-satan

4 Likes

“bona fide”? Sounds like you’re illegally second guessing the reasonableness of the boss’s religious beliefs, pal…

1 Like

I’m not COERCING you —

I’m just literally throwing you in prison if you don’t agree :confused:

7 Likes

This is not incompetence. This is crime, on a huge scale.

6 Likes

The broader issue:

Slavery never stopped. It just changed form.

3 Likes

I was trying to book an airline ticket for a US Citizen to make an Internal Flight, and was kind of shocked when the site required information from the persons Photo ID Card?! Over here, in the Mother of All Parliaments, they spent billions trying to launch a National ID System and failed miserably. Meanwhile, in the Land of the Free, it is…

papers

1 Like

Indeed, incarceration should cost society, not enrich it.

2 Likes

Associated Press picked up the story.

This story puts some lipstick on the pig:

Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services? Rancid as hell.

3 Likes

It always costs society. But it also enriches a few individuals. The degree of the enrichment matters. We’re OK with some blue collar construction and guard jobs being created to support this. A warden makes a solid middle class paycheck. We’re not OK with owners of a prison investment firm that individually collect millions each year through incarceration.

2 Likes

Those are really weird. Is there some explanatory text?

Polls often class several non-Christian religions as “protestant” which skews the numbers, but in this case it appears that more than 100% of Americans are Christian? Even stranger than normal… I must be reading it wrong.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.