Private school kicks players off football team for protesting racism during national anthem

The statement “mock flags and freedom” is disingenuous and does not apply here. Respectful protest is not mockery. It is respectful protest towards ideals theoretically espoused but not upheld.

The United States has always been a morally aspirational nation (aspires to do good even if it does not always maximize it). “My country right or wrong” is a statement with the same meaning “my kids right or wrong”. When right you have a right to be proud. When wrong then you must take action to correct their behaviour, guide them and lead them so that they follow a correct path. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

9 Likes

A "former marine? I thought there was no such thing.

7 Likes

I served to honor and protect those rights.

Thank you for honoring and protecting freedom and not just that which conforms and doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable.

Thank you for your service.

2 Likes

You are correct. They weren’t mocking flag/football except in the biased eye of the coach. Their protest was and is valid but some true believers will only see it as mocking…

2 Likes

You need to understand church history.
Jesus preached a message which did not suit the authorities; Saul of Tarsus infiltrated the movement and made it more mainstream. It’s a key point that is not dwelt on enough that he had dual citizenship - Jewish/Roman.
When the movement became too big to ignore, around the 3rd century AD, it was “incorporated” into the Roman Empire. The old Roman state religion was given a Christian coat of paint, Vestal virgins, high priests, festivals. The Pontifex Maximus became the Pope. Christianity was neutralised. There were then various movements against this such as the Cathars which were repressed savagely. When Protestantism first started, it was taken over by Luther who promptly sided with the aristocracy against the peasants, neutralising it again.
In the US, the expansion of settlement was faster than the spread of education, giving rise to many strange sects. Again, the authoritarian tendency has weaponised these as an agent of control by identifying political authoritarianism with Christianity.
These days even the Quakers have become mainstream.

12 Likes

It looks to me like the ol’ “America, love it or leave it” from the 60’s. Being an old hippy myself, I remember the BS from back then and its still going on today, in a more insidious form. F$%^*^%ing repubs have set us back time and again.

10 Likes

According to George Bernard Shaw* what is the last refuge of the scoundrel?
(a) patriotism
(b) the dog ate my homework
(c ) patriotism
(d) patriotism

(I am making it easy since he’s a coach).

*Shaw was Irish and knew all about toxic nationalism.

11 Likes

id be willing to take bets on how this coach ( and all of the easily offended snowflakes amongst the nfl fans ) feel about flying the confederate battle flag.

proud patriots should recognize how offensive it is to raise the flag of a group which tried to end the united states… but i’m not holding my breath.

8 Likes

Are National Anthems, at their roots, about soldiers? I know the lyrics, but I don’t see it that way.

1 Like

This.

There are a lot of ways to rephrase it to drive it home: Are black Americans not Americans, do they not have rights, and are those rights being respected? If you want black Americans to love their country then perhaps a good start would be for the country to love and respect them back by addressing grievances instead of telling them to “shut up.”

8 Likes

I thought “former marine” was the correct term and it’s “ex-marine” that they don’t like? Or to be called soldiers.

4 Likes

Ah, you could be correct there.

Thank you for this information. Her insight is clear and frightening. I hope she is widely heard and heeded.

Well, to be fair, the US’ anthem actually is about seeing that the flag is still flying come morning after a battle during the night.

Other than that - no. No, they are not. They are about tribal identification, though, even if none of the individuals involved think so.

3 Likes

Years ago I remember an article about national anthems which suggested that the main themes are:

Where we are (good for small countries like Lichtenstein)
We are the best (US)
God protect us (UK, Russia)
We have really got our act together nowadays(Germany)
Don’t mess with us (France, US, Canada)
They’re coming to get us (France)
National flag recognition (US)
Type of government (UK)

Military activity, I agree, isn’t that major except in the US and French anthems. It’s been dropped from the Russian and British ones. Interestingly, the German anthem was never military, though the first two verses have been dropped, the first owing to possible misunderstanding and the second due to its political incorrectness.

4 Likes

Yes, this!

One of the USMC vets I know once corrected someone by saying there’s no such thing as an “ex-Marine.” I don’t think “former” works for them, either. I think they’re OK being called Marine vets.

1 Like

FREEDOM! Not just for white folks anymore.

/Warning: Exercise of freedom may involve personal sacrifice and misdemeanor or felony charges, beating, tear gas exposure and even death, ask your doctor if freedom is right for you.

6 Likes

The coach/pastor sounds like a nightmare. His bio states that he spent three years in the marines (not sure why he didn’t make it the full four years) and has been preaching since he was fifteen. They can add “hates freedom” to his bio now.

2 Likes

Like NASCAR, that declared that anyone “taking the knee” would be kicked out, but they fly “Confederate*” flags…

• The so-called Confederate flag that’s actually a 20th century creation that was a response to the Civil Rights movement, that is.
3 Likes