Roger Goodell admits NFL was wrong for banning NFL players' kneeling protests of anti-Black police brutality

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/roger-goodell-admits-nfl-was-w.html

“We, the National Football League, believe Black Lives Matter.”

5 Likes

I might start thinking this is in any way sincere when Colin Kaepernick has a job.

70 Likes

Right?

Talk is cheap.

44 Likes

i.e. he’s worried about the league being boycotted by a target demographic and wants this over with before Fox tv stations (which carry many of the league’s games) becomes the target of boycotts themselves because of the horseshit Fox News has done and said with regards to these protests.

It’s 100% about money.

43 Likes

NFL can go fuck themselves, i have no interest in believing them any time soon.

Also the Olympic athlete Gwen Berry also has some choice words for the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee for happily throwing her under the bus last year for standing up for black causes and putting her on probation for a year. They now “proudly” support BLM while ignoring what they publicly did to Gwen Berry, she lost sponsors and her reputation.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gwen-berry-olympics-usoc-racism-protest-072143215.html

All of these companies decrying BLM is great but i certainly only take it as that. Flashy public shows of support that don’t accomplish anything.

37 Likes

Especially this late in the game. All I hear is “Please don’t boycott us for being racist quislings!”

36 Likes

“Admits” or “makes policy U-turn for mainly financial reasons.”

:thinking:

20 Likes

Since, literally, today.

Too little, too fucking late.

33 Likes

This is some bullshit. To edit Kaepernick out of this – it just seems like another example of the problem.

This is the sport that is based on people smashing their brains around in their heads, I suppose. Just not much hope, there.

6 Likes

I’ll just say the same thing I said on Twitter: this is marketing bullshit so they don’t “look” bad - they won’t do anything substantial that could threaten revenues from a predominately white fan base

11 Likes

Hey, NFL. I could be just as useless, ineffective and hypocritical as that idiot Roger Goodell for only a million dollars a year. Call me!

14 Likes

Mistakes were made.

By whom? About what?

Who can say.

:man_shrugging:

19 Likes

Just wait for that first national anthem and all the players kneeling, you can bet there’s gonna be some white hand wringing . It’ll be great to see FOX self-destruct along with all their asinine viewers

20 Likes

“And the 500 protesters on my lawn have nothing to do with this announcement.”

13 Likes

Presumably the mistakes made themselves.

18 Likes

If it doesn’t escalate to full-on civil war, I predict a very quick about-face by and large, with only minor grumbling. “I never really believed that terrible racist stuff. What are you talking about, you must be thinking of someone else.”

2 Likes

I would love to see that, and actually see it mean something To FN and NFL viewers that it’s not just about $$$$. And the “but the flag!” bit is so tiring and it’s the only thing they can cling onto to not address any forward thinking. Although the narrative is finally moving. All it took was disease , massive riots, and a worthless president, but hey we got there! :laughing:

6 Likes

A rich white man finally realizes on which side his bread is buttered. When the NFL comes back, it will be more startup than Monolith. He needs all the help he can get or his stadiums will be racial battlegrounds for decades.

1 Like

Please don’t stop watching football, we’ll say anything you want to hear

9 Likes

Sure, Roger. I’ll believe that when a black man has taken your place, you spineless asshat.

10 Likes