After Nike hires Colin Kaepernick for ad campaign, conservative halfwits destroy own property to own the libs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/03/after-nike-hires-colin-kaepern.html

16 Likes

63 Likes

I really don’t know how to feel about this ad campaign. I am delighted that Kapernick is getting rewarded for (metaphorically) standing up for his values and bringing attention to police violence, at the same time I am dismayed at how quickly his message has been turned into a slogan to sell shoes… :smiley::thinking::pensive:

33 Likes

The GOP and its core supporters are really doubling down on the whole “cut off your nose to spite your face” meme, aren’t they?

38 Likes

I’ve been meaning to wear my Chuck Taylor All Stars more anyway; here’s hoping the racists know who owns Converse.

24 Likes

After the far right fecal-cephalics saturate their shoes with toe jam and worse, the only safe thing to do with them is burn them. Otherwise they’d have to be disposed of as hazardous waste.

2 Likes

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had burnt his.

42 Likes

What blinds them to the reality of this protest? I don’t want to just think they’re racist assholes, but are they so mired in their own privilege that they don’t see what’s going on in terms of police and people of color? For fuck’s sake, it’s almost weekly that you see something about a cop shooting an unarmed black person, and they don’t see that as problematic? And in fact, see it as so okay that they’ll burn their shoes in protest of those who say, hey, maybe don’t shoot us if you’re gonna claim to be the land of the free? I mean, maybe they are just reprehensible racists, but they certainly don’t think they are: what leads to that level of cognitive dissonance? Sorry, I’ve been drinking. Just so frustrated by this.

45 Likes

Uh yep… it’s a feature.

4 Likes

IMO, he needs to make a living, and if it reminds people of what he did then that’s great. Nike could have used so many less deserving images and concepts to promote their brand.

24 Likes

For anyone who isn’t blindly embracing every bullshit petty fight Trump tries to start, it seems like they’re just obliviously privileged enough to not want any politics in their mindless smash game worship.

“I watch sportsball to forget about all that bullshit…”

7 Likes

Fuck, I feel so owned now.

eating-popcorn-tv-gif

22 Likes

wait, these guys are just NOW getting around to protesting Nike’s sweatshops? https://youtu.be/28B_sZZ6km4

5 Likes

I’m sure Nike sent him a nice cheque but he’s still lost many more millions in NHL earnings. I have a ton of respect for what he’s given up.

I actually view this differently. An ad with Ghandi, MLK, or Mandela, you’re claiming to embrace freedom and liberty, but those people haven’t been controversial in decades. Endorsing their message is as risky as declaring that ice cream is yummy.

But Nike showing Kaepernick, they’re jumping right into the middle of a culture war, corporations just don’t do that. There might be a bit of corporate strategy here, their core market might be a bit blacker and a bit more liberal. But I think they might be doing this because they’re legitimately trying to support the protests.

35 Likes

This. I work for Nike, and I’m impressed by how often Nike takes a stand when they’d not lose anything by just staying quiet. Most companies are just quietly riding this out. Many companies didn’t say anything when Nike joined an amicus brief in the case against DOMA (although a lot did).

I don’t have any direct knowledge of this deal, but the reporting is that this is more than just an ad campaign. It sounds like a top-tier deal with branded shoes and apparel. This puts Kaepernick on par with Lebron James and Kobe Bryant. I’ll have to wait and see what actually comes of this like the rest of you, though.

33 Likes

I generally don’t care what a person does with their property. If they want to destroy it for whatever reason, that’s fine by me. I do wish, however, they would choose more environmentally friendly ways of doing so. Burning shoes has got to be toxic.

6 Likes

Someone should start spreading the word that the best way to own the libs is to burn your sportswear while you’re still wearing it.

34 Likes

You just know that somewhere there is a spreadsheet that anticipates and incorporates this reaction. I’d love to see it.

10 Likes

Ouch, how am I gonna sleep tonight knowing some jingoistic turd’s socks are now two inches shorter? How?

11 Likes

The stupid, it burns!

(heh)

22 Likes