Roger Goodell admits NFL was wrong for banning NFL players' kneeling protests of anti-Black police brutality

I think they just wrote the closing argument for a Kaepernick law suit.

12 Likes

meh… fuck football, fuck the nfl and all of the macho shit they bring to the table.

4 Likes

The conspicuous avoidance of names was almost certainly to try and mitigate that possibility, yeah.

4 Likes

25 Likes

Hold on to you and @Purplecat Lets just qualify what this means. Kap is now 32. He’s been out of the game for 4 years. The sport he plays is less than kind to most anyone past 30 and especially cruel to anyone out of it for a year let alone 4.

Can Kap be a starting NFL qb…no. Can he be a back up…yes. The question has to be answered by both the team and him.

Now…if by “Kap have a job” we think its good for him to be hired by the NF as a relations director in the marketing/PR/player departments? Well, I personally feel this is where he should be. He’s past his prime as an on the field player beyond being a back up. And I do not think he could effect the cause better in that role…he can as an NFL VP in the main offices though.

1 Like

No, “let’s” not; because I don’t actually care about the sport itself, and that is not what my comment is actually about.

As a gesture that they actually mean what they say now, the NFL could compensate Kap all the money that he would have earned on contract in all the time since he hasn’t been employed as a player, or they could make reparations to him some other way that’s more than mere lip service.

My only point here is that without any actual action to back it up, it’s just placating bullshit.

22 Likes

Same asshole just a few weeks ago. He knew what he was doing. He cannot claim that he did not know about BLM after what they did to Kaepernick.

10 Likes

It’s never too late to admit you were wrong.

But admitting you were wrong doesn’t mean you should expect forgiveness from those you wronged.

12 Likes

Let me start by saying I am quite likely the biggest football fan on bbs. I love football. It is an idiotic, awful game with more time spent standing around doing nothing than actually playing, but I love it anyway. I watch every snap of every game my teams play. Instead of the commercials I rewind and rewatch every play again. I spend countless hours talking about college recruiting of high school players with my dad, and I spend countless hours talking about every aspect of anything Saints related with my brother.
With that preface let me say

Fuck Roger Goodell. That man is an amoral, souless pimp who gives no shits about anyone or anything other than his money. That racist asshole can burn in hell and I look forward to the day that Kaepernick and Eric Reid get to take a knee on his grave.

15 Likes

I agree with @Melizmatic that this is empty posturing until they take action - whether it’s going above and beyond to bring Kap back or at least paying him for lost earnings, that’s between him and them.

That said, his last workout with a pro football team, they said he was in incredible shape. Also, that 4 years he’s been out of the sport, also represent 4 years of not taking that punishment. He’s got to be the freshest 32 yo QB in the league. Tom Brady is 42. Half of NFL starters are 32 or older, and Kap would be by far the most mobile of that group. So, there’s at least a possibility that you’re very wrong about him being washed up. If anything, he’d be a strong prospect for a team looking for leadership.

17 Likes

Telephone: (ring) (ring)
Mrs Godell: Hello?
Telephone: (sound of wicked laughter) (lip smacking) (drooling)
Mrs. Godell: It’s for you, dear!
Roger Godell: Who is it?
Mrs. Godell: Colin Kaepernick’s lawyers

6 Likes

Whether Kaepernick starts at QB, plays back up, or ends up being the commissioner, Goodell didn’t even mention his name (apparently, I’m not going to bother viewing it). This isn’t even good lip service.
That said, that even the NFL feels it’s important to be on this side of history at this point is telling, even if they don’t take their obvious best approach to it.

7 Likes

Day late and a dollar short motherfucker

10 Likes

“Colin Kaepernick? I have not spoken to him much. This is not a man I know well. He seems like a nice guy, though.”

7 Likes

Lemme get this straight… If the NFL prematurely ended his career, in addition to dragging his name through the mud, Kap should work for them? In PR :interrobang: Instead of, I dunno, suing their asses?

8 Likes

This is the most opportunistic, scum-tastic fucking bullshit ever. They ruined a man’s career, took a hard fucking line against taking a knee because the president and his stabled of jack booted, baby faced coffee creamers wanted to make it a political whipping point, and generally did fuck all of any use except to shill to their bottom line for dollars. And now, the winds have changed, and boom… there’s good old Roger, dancing for the strings of his 401K plan.

Fuck. This. Shit.

Fuck the NFL. Fuck sports in general, but in particular fuck this man and this league. Please don’t give them ANY fucking money. Once, sports was on the forefront of racial relations in our society. Now? All they fucking care about is pandering to white fears and making sure the cash keeps flowing.

No, he gets no pass from me. What he’ll get is a thumb in his eye, because he’s too blind to understand what a fucking douchebag he’s been and continues to be.

11 Likes

No, it’s fucking lazy and opportunistic. Not only is it NOT better than all those corporate “we feel your pain and stand with you” fuzzy wuzzy feel good messages, it’s infinitely worse after they ACTIVELY took the line of “we don’t give a shit about police brutality, we care more about fragile white people and the president’s idea of what patriotism is so we’re going to end a man’s career and ban what is the most peaceful protest in all of history.”

The NFL has been wrong and will always be wrong. It’s time to kill off that cash cow that sucks money out of our society and pours it into endless stadiums that get used 16 days a year and otherwise serve zero functional purpose for the benefit of society, putting cities in debt to a scabrous group of rich old white fucks who are only seeking to line their pockets at the expense of everyone else.

14 Likes

Except he has the same issue today he had when he played. He can’t hit the broad side of a barn. His accuracy when he played at Nevada and Then in San Fran was always bad. And while I get that people don’t want to talk about the details here because yes he was black listed out of the sport. The reality is he was at best a back up QB and the majority of teams aren’t signing a 32 yr old back up who hasn’t taken a snap in 4 years regardless of anything else.

Like I said. I’d prefer he be brought into the league office. He can do far better things there than as a player.

He would have to prove that him not being signed by anyone is beyond a doubt because of the protesting and not because he was NOT a good player on the field. His legal team would need to prove this against 32 teams.

He has a 59.8% completion percentage. That’s same as Cam Newton who is about the same age as Kap. They both are big mobile QBs who are wildly inaccurate passers and make plays with their legs. They both took teams to an SB and lost. Newton even earned MVP honors.

They are also Both unsigned.

There are absolutely teams that black listed Kap. There are also teams that just didn’t think he was good enough to consider for a roster spot. Unless their was a league wide memo and paper trail it will be near impossible to distinguish which was which.

2 Likes