Pro-Trump T-shirt company fined for switching "Made in China" labels with "Made in U.S." labels

Originally published at: Pro-Trump T-shirt company fined for switching "Made in China" labels with "Made in U.S." labels | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Lying grifters caught lying?

I am shocked, shocked I tell you!

shocked conan japan GIF by Team Coco

21 Likes

Ironically, the “Made in USA” labels were probably also made in China.

62 Likes

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

11 Likes

Nothing says “patriotic” like naming your clothing brand after a Benito Mussolini quote.

30 Likes

“It’s the most patriotic red-white-and-blue, really the most All-American product, believe me…”

I’ve never seen a political movement so grounded in aspirational grifting.

29 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

13 Likes

jameson_laugh

13 Likes

I wonder what they pay workers to remove labels and sew in new ones in the US?

Shows how horrible the Chinese labor market is if that’s still a cheaper option.

I’m also wondering if they have those “Made in the USA” labels manufactured in China.

11 Likes

That fine is on top of forfeiting the profits this company has made on those shirts, right? If not IMO it ought to be.

6 Likes

I’d go with something simple, like $1000 fine for each adulterated item sold made.

15 Likes

They’re probably using undocumented workers…

9 Likes

What an ironic name for a company that markets its products to brainless cultists.

5 Likes

I’m a bit surprised that they couldn’t just have their suppliers affix the ideologically correct labels at the point of production.

That certainly happens often enough with UL and CE marks.

8 Likes

That may be what they were doing. I don’t know the details, but I’m willing to bet they got caught when a shipment was opened for a random taxes-and-tariffs check at customs, and questions needed to be asked about why a crate of shirts that said “made in USA” were in a container that came from China

Edit: Nevermind, the truth is so much stupider than I imagined. According to the linked source, he got caught because he literally bragged about switching the tags on social media. :woman_facepalming:

24 Likes
7 Likes

I’m not surprised—I mean, would-be Emperor Orange’s “Made in Russia” tag was changed to “Made in Muriika” years ago.

1 Like

Donald Glover Wow GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

Lyin’s not Cheap

5 Likes

Which are, of course, the colors of the Russian flag… very appropriate.

Ah. Free toilet paper. How thoughtful.

2 Likes