Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

And not detrimental?

That’s the bit that worries me about a housemate, who thinks daily consumption of milk and cheese wards off osteoporosis.

5 Likes

Does this housemate want the information? And do they want you to provide the links for them?

If you’ve mentioned your concern, that seems enough. They may want to follow up for themselves, or not. Leading a horse to water, and all that.

8 Likes

It looks like there are a few recent meta-analyses that back up the idea that it’s a wash for adults. The studies that look at all-cause mortality show no difference between dairy consumption and no dairy consumption. Dairy has slight positive effects for bone density but nothing significant pos/neg for fractures. Maybe slight improvement in diabetes risk with dairy consumption. High fat dairy consumption increases heart disease risk, but not as much as expected (which is consistent with recent research on the importance of genetics on cholesterol processing and retention).

The best quote I found was this, from Dr. Vasanti Malik from Harvard’s School of Public Health: “Dairy isn’t necessary in the diet for optimal health, but for many people, it is the easiest way to get the calcium, vitamin D, and protein they need to keep their heart, muscles, and bones healthy and functioning properly.”

So the answer seems to be, it depends. :crazy_face: If they are consuming mostly no- and low-fat dairy, then it’s probably fine, and maybe better than simply lacking those nutrients if they don’t have another good source. OTOH, probably bad if their dairy consumption is high-fat.

8 Likes

Thanks.

Ah, the easiest way! So the dairy industry is right, it really is a perfect meal in a glass!

Guess I should try some deeper research of my own to see if claims that it is, to the contrary, detrimental are nothing more than high school chemistry bunk.

5 Likes

I thought that was Guiness? :wink:

TBH, some of the articles I read that talked about detrimental effects were light on evidence and sounded like they were written by anti-vaxxers. But the cardiac health ones are super-legit and the cancer ones are strangely variable. So I would say it’s hardly settled science.

7 Likes

I’m glad you asked. I’ve been meaning to keep better track of the products I’m trying.
I’ve been liking Califia Farms oat milk, barista blend. Caveat- I generally sweeten my tea or coffee, so I’m probably not as sensitive as you to if it’s sweetened. But I have used it in other, savory recipes (mashed potatoes) and it seemed fine.

In other news, recently tried
Daiya Mexican four cheese -grated
It’s pretty good. Melts well, tastes okay. I’m still on the fence about these cheese substitutes. But it’s the best I’ve tried that’s available locally if I just have a hankering for a nacho or taco.

Violife sour cream is again a reasonable facsimile for when one craves the Tex-mex. I’ve made the homemade version with cashews, but for that to work in my blender I need to make a kind of big batch and have trouble getting through it. This stuff is available in a small container and is pretty good. Not grainy or anything.

3 Likes

You might try freezing meal sized batches. It could mess with the texture. But if it doesn’t, you can pop one in the fridge 24 hours before you need it.

Dairy is my weakness. I could give up meat (if it wouldn’t put a further wrench in getting enough protein into kii-kitten). But dairy is very hard
I will look into milk subs for my coffee tho

6 Likes

I’m full omnivore, but I love lavender-infused oat milk in my coffee. :+1:

6 Likes

That sounds delicious :yum:

7 Likes

I don’t know your family’s health circumstances, but children all over the world are raised vegetarian (and some vegan) from birth without issues.

The problem is that most people in the U.S. were raised on a very specific idea of what constitutes healthy eating, and so find it difficult to switch to entirely different cuisines. But I promise you, a kid eating peanut butter and hummus and bean chili, etc., will get more than enough protein. In fact, most Americans get too much protein, rather than not enough. You don’t need meat at every meal, even for growing kids.

You can talk to a registered dietician to make sure you’re all eating a good balance of foods, whatever mix is right for you.

7 Likes

I don’t know if this would be apposite or not, but possibly worth mentioning… If by chance your needing to make a large batch is because you need enough in the blender container to get proper blending action going, have you tried using a canning jar?

I use a pint jar to blend my smoothies (and then drink right out of it), and sometimes a half-pint jar to blend tiny batches of things. It does assume that your blender parts will fit the threads of a standard canning jar, of course. (ISTR that they all used to fit on a canning jar—though I wouldn’t be surprised if newer blenders aren’t all standard anymore…)

4 Likes

Oh, if kii-kitten ate more than peanut butter, definitely! But peanut butter is the only plant source of protein they will eat right now. The rest is dairy and homemade burgers and hotdogs (rare). Kii-kitten will sometimes diegn to eat chicken strips from Raising Cane. I have no idea what happened. Kii-kitten was an adventurous eater exposed to all sorts of foods as a young toddler.

We have made a conscious choice to expose our child to as many foods as possible but not push them to eat. They do get rewarded for trying new things. Obesity runs in my family very strongly, as does eating disorders. So we are careful to try and avoid messing up their relationship with food. I absolutely refuse to make eating a battle with them. If they want meat 2 or three meals a week, they can have it. My husband already caters to my inability to eat any red meat. Adding no meat would be a burden he just doesn’t need.

We have discussed kii-kitten’s diet extensively with their pediatrician. They are good with the burgers and dairy. Removing those without a plant substitute is a no-go.

6 Likes

I agree with your ped. Making meals into battles pretty much always ends badly. Sounds like you are doing it right.

10 Likes

Same here. Though I truly thought it would be much harder than it has been so far. So far being a mere 4 months or so, so there’s that.
The worst part for me is trying the different stuff then being stuck with it if it’s not to my liking. Like, we got some “smoked Gouda” that’s okay, but not good enough for me to get through the whole block without getting sick of it.
I’m tempted to try Rebel Cheeses, comes highly recommended, but the minimum order is pretty large for a household of 2, so need to wait for some potlucks or something.
I did just sign up for Purple Carrot, a vegan meal kit service. I’ve never used a meal kit service before, and it’s def pricier than regular cooking at home, but I thought it might be a good way to try different products without having to buy a whole thing of them. I get my first delivery at the end of the month. I’ll report back. (I don’t work for them.)

That would be amazing, but definitely not the case for my blender.

4 Likes

Do please!

I’ve heard Hello Fresh is good too, though I haven’t tried it.

https://www.hellofresh.com/pages/menus-and-plans

6 Likes

I’ve sent up a flare for my vegan daughter to give me a list of her findings so far regarding vegan cheese, which has gotten a whole lot better as a category in the 8 years since she became vegan.

One thing we discovered recently is that the Meijer’s store-brand version of one of the shredded cheeses (she was using on Mexican-style dishes) was significantly better than the big names. Seems like one brand is good for smoked, a different brand is good for shredded, etc. etc. It would be a lot easier if one brand was consistently better, but that doesn’t seem to be how it works.

But Kite Hill’s chive cream cheese? I know omnivores who buy it because it’s that good!

9 Likes

My daughter and her husband use that for a few meals a week. they have been happy with it, even if a little pricey. It’s a convenience thing, as well as “I would never have tried that otherwise” thing.

7 Likes

I liked Hello Fresh, but i haven’t ordered from them in years because they changed how the discounts work and it’s just no longer worth it for me. On the plus side anyone can access their recipes, you don’t need to have an active plan or even an account to see them, and their recipes are easy enough that they can be modified to suit your tastes and dietary needs without a ton of effort

https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes

My major complaint about Hello Fresh besides cost was that i was never comfortable with the potential wastefulness of their couriers dropping off meals to customers, and the produce i’d get was also not always the freshest and would sometimes start to spoil a day after it being delivered to me

7 Likes

This is as much as she’s given so far:

Best sliced cheese is violife smoked provolone and then I rlly like the way the Trader Joe’s shredded Mexican style cheese blend melts on tortillas

9 Likes

Anyone have strong thoughts or experiences with “upcycled” food?

I was interested in a jam I hadn’t seen before, but put it back when I saw the main ingredient is upcycled strawberries.

I looked that up later, learned it basically means food rescued from being thrown away. Good for the planet, you see.

Hmmm. Great concept in theory, but I’m honestly leery, so far. Makes me feel like I should strive to be a better person/consumer.

4 Likes