Starbucks adds oat milk to vegan non-dairy options

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/07/starbucks-adds-oat-milk-to-veg.html

3 Likes

I bought some oat milk to see if I could make latte’s at home with it and it worked great! I probably still prefer cow milk, but oat milk is a surprisingly good option. I’m going to have to try the Starbuck’s version.

3 Likes

Nice. But curious about headline. Is there such a thing as a vegan “dairy” option? Seems like vegan says it all…

Specificity is good?

As I was typing, I thought maybe “vegan creamer” options would hit the mark. Was also sincerely wondering if I’d missed something in the dietary developments.
ETA - on second thought, I don’t agree that redundancy = specificity

My wife can’t have dairy and absolutely lost her mind when a local coffey spot started using Oatley. I don’t know why, but it is much better than any other vegan milk I’ve ever had.

4 Likes

I got a free half-gallon of oat milk from Fred Meyer. I used it on cereal and the like. It was fine; not sure if I’d replace cow milk with it, but I’d definitely go for it rather than soy milk.

2 Likes

My understanding is that soybeans have much more arsenic than raw oats (at the same weight). Based on that, oat milk should have less arsenic than soy milk.

2 Likes

I think you may have soy confused with rice there.
Arsenic in rice milk has been a concern for some time, whereas the arsenic found in soy milk turned out to originate from rice-based additives, ironic enough:

4 Likes

Allow me to consume this report. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

My understanding is that Oatly’s advantage is being a first mover. I swear to a Norwegian alternative that tastes infinitely better. Very rich and none of that faint harshness you find in most vegan milk alternatives.

3 Likes

Is this news? I thought most coffee places had non-dairy alternatives, and oat milk isn’t anything new.

1 Like

I think it’s the sudden popularity of oat milk as a milk substitute that’s new. Big Soy must be sweating a bit by now. (That’s a pre-coffee joke, son.)

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a cultural thing? Here in the UK there’s oat, almond, coconut, hazelnut, cashew, rice and possibly others, so soya isn’t exactly dominating the market.

Anyway, just seemed more like a press release.

1 Like

Oat milk has been around for a long time here in the U.S., but its popularity seems recent. Yeah, maybe a result of press releases and a lot of other marketing.

1 Like

I meant the BB article seemed like a press release, although TBH I’m surprised Starbucks weren’t already offering oat milk.

2 Likes

I’m having oat milk right now.

On granola. I’ve switched from soy. It’s been a good milk substitute in baking too (I replace half the milk in recipes that call for it).

5 Likes

My local coffee place (definitely not a Starbucks) has it. A few months ago I expressed surprise that they had oat milk, of all things. The barista looked at me like I was late to the party and patiently explained that they had oat milk for years.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is about the broader culture, just about Starbucks. They added oat milk to their menu and because of how much coffee they sell, it’s news.

1 Like

Oat milk? Oat Milk?? Have you tried finding the nipples on an oat???

1 Like