Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

Ooh, they look yummy! Can you share the recipe?

In other news, a friend got me a batch of vegan cheeses from Rebel Cheese for my b-day last week. I didn’t love the dill havarti, but the Mr. likes it. I think the brie is totally delicious. I’ll report back when I’ve tried more of the others.

Nice touch that they have - the ice packs they use to keep stuff cold? Once they melt, they can be used to water your house plants or garden. The liquid is plant food!

11 Likes

Sure thing

5 eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sage
2 cups herb stuffing mix
1 cup finely chopped pecans (this is where the texture comes from)
8 oz tomato sauce
1 cup water

Beat together first 7 ingredients. Stir in stuffing and nuts. Mix well and shape into 24 balls. Place in baking pan. Mix water and tomato sauce and pour half over balls.
Bake uncovered at 350o F. Heat remaining sauce and pass with meatballs.

Obviously, we made subs out of them instead. Only change i would have made is to dress up the sauce some with herbs and spices. But amazingly satisfying.

11 Likes

Rebel Cheese is good, they’re local to here in Austin but i’ve seen their emails of them expending their offerings online and in NYC. Pretty cool to see! Their faux cheeses are great, for New Years i got their vegan charcuterie board and we greatly enjoyed it.

9 Likes

That recipe made fifteen 3" meatballs? So a half recipe might be more like 8?

Also, I assume walnuts would work equally well?

6 Likes

Supposed to make 24, we got 19. I couldn’t taste the pecans, just the texture, so i would guess walnuts would work?

7 Likes

The other thing that was clear is that their prevalence is changing with changes in the human diet. In non-human primates, the frequency of these bacterial strains was in the 30–40 percent range. That was similar to the frequencies seen in the old samples of human feces but higher than that seen in present humans. Here, there was a strong division. Present-day hunter/gatherers and those living in a rural environment, both of whom eat very high fiber diets, still had about 20 percent prevalence of these cellulose-digesting species. By contrast, those in industrialized countries had a prevalence under 5 percent.

Feed your gut bacteria, be nice to your gut bacteria, and they will be nice to you. Comments are worth a read as well.

14 Likes

Wow thank you.

6 Likes

Their definition of rural must be very different from mine. People here do NOT eat a high fiber diet at all.

10 Likes

The researchers are from Beer-Sheva, Dusseldorf and Newcastle-upon-Tyne, so maybe? My experience of the English-Scottish border is that the rural people there might think that chicken and fish are acceptable vegan options, but they aren’t full on carnivores either.

8 Likes

The abstract doesn’t include the definitions of ‘rural societies’ and ‘industrial societies’ they used, so who knows?

For what it’s worth, Düsseldorf is right next to both cabbage central and turnip central.
I don’t know much about Beer Sheva1) or Newcastle upon Tyne2) (or Rehovot or Wyndmoor, PA for that matter). They also list 88 notes and references from god knows where. Maybe where the researchers work (geographically) wasn’t that much of an influence.

1) To my shame; we’re twinned with it.
2) We’re also twinned with South Tyneside. Not that I know a lot about them, either.

8 Likes

So Düsseldorf is effectively the rutabaga of Germany?

:wink:

8 Likes

(cued to 1:03)

[Intro]

This is a song about vegetables, they keep ya regular
They’re real good for ya

[Verse 1]

Call any vegetable (call any vegetable)
Call it by name (call any vegetable)
Call one today (call any vegetable)
When you get off the train (call any vegetable)

[Chorus]

Call any vegetable and the chances are good
Aw, the vegetable will respond to you

[Bridge]

Some people don’t go for prunes, I don’t know
I’ve always found that if they-

[Verse 2]
Call any vegetable (call any vegetable)
Pick up your phone (call any vegetable)
Think of a vegetable (call any vegetable)
Lonely at home (call any vegetable)

[Chorus]

Call any vegetable and the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you
Rutabaga, rutabaga
Rutabaga, rutabaga
Rutabay-y-y-y…

[Bridge]

A prune isn’t really a vegetable
Cabbage is a vegetable

[Outro]

No one will know if you don’t want to let them know
No one will know 'less it’s you that might tell them so
Call and they’ll come to you, covered with dew
Vegetables dream of responding to you
Standing there shiny and proud by your side
Holding your hand while the neighbors decide
Why is a vegetable something to hide?

(lyrics from)

7 Likes

To get a better sense of these bacteria, the researchers obtained more human gut samples, along with those from other primates, as well as some vintage poop samples that humans left behind over 1,000 years ago

“Vintage poop samples”

Not Funny Wow GIF by Bounce

11 Likes

Much classier than merely old poop samples.

10 Likes

I bet they’re “preowned” too!

10 Likes

This is an Outhouse Du Briand 55, quite a nose to it…

10 Likes

But less hip than the retro poop samples.

8 Likes

Oh, I knew them back before they went public.

7 Likes

Don’t move to Florida, @ClutchLinkey!

9 Likes

Brad Hocking says the Eterna breed consistently yields huge fruit, but recent growing conditions had sparked a bumper crop at their farm in Corindi in northern New South Wales.

His team had noticed some promising berries on the trees but were shocked and “stoked” when they were weighed.

8 Likes