Professional skeptics on misinformation & hoaxes: anti-vaxx, Planned Parenthood

Agreed. In addition, if vaccines were still effective in smaller doses, wouldn’t the pharmaceutical companies offer them in those smaller doses? Doing so would let the fixed amount of vaccine go further, and being able to sell more doses for the same cost would increase their profit.

4 Likes

This is what the Natural News crowd seriously believes :frowning:

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/altmed_txt

Your source for important facts.

7 Likes

Oh my god. I wish all of this was tumblrtrolls but I know better.

Best one ever:

alt_medicine.txt ‏@altmed_txt 21 Dec 2013
Chapstick. A moment on the lips, forever in my reproductive system.

5 Likes

…I’m not sure I do… the anti-vax people I see are also anti-gun control.

And if you let them talk long enough they start talking about one-world-order, the illuminati, Bill Gates, chem trails, and sometimes even lizard people. But never pro-gun control. If any thing they want the ability to have more guns to protect themselves from ever being vaccinated.

4 Likes

First of all, it is rather difficult to find an anti-GMO site that is also not antivaxxer. March Against Monsanto? Antivaxxers. And so on and so on.

And here’s Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Roundup causes autism) on vaccines - she is a militant antivaxxer.

Man, some things never change, let some manipulative psychopath build a fiery Moloch idol, and people will climb all over each other to chuck their kids into the flames.

3 Likes

I think we’re getting hung up on words/wording.
All/most anti-vaxxers are also anti-GMO (also: anti-oneworlgovernment, chemtrails, & lizard-people) But!! all/most anti-GMO are not anti-vaccines.

3 Likes

Well that’s totally possible, because the antivaxxers allow a convergence of right wing and left wing conspiracy theories. However, most people from the midwest and farming regions are well aware of the importance of vaccinations for their animals and people, and they do not see the ag companies as their personal enemies. You can however find lots of antivaxxer material on foodie/organic farming/vegetarian sites. Antivaxxers will bundle in the usual political causes of their demographic, which they will promote with the same unique hostile incoherence.

2 Likes

You should follow the FB group “Things Anti Vaxers Say” (TAVS) - its eye opening to be sure.
(And occasionally someone talks about lizard people and I get a warm feeling all over!)

2 Likes

Everything converges in the great Conspiracy Theory Internet Melting Pot (I’m working on something catchier, but you get the idea).

If you research any chronic illness on the 'net, you will find someone blaming it on GMOs, Roundup, or vaccines, and from there you are never more than two mouse clicks away from the usual Jews-run-the-world claptrap. And since anyone with a chronic health problem researches on the 'net, they will be exposed to the conspiracy theories.

I have noticed that people who believe these things often have health problems of the very real but hard to pin down autoimmune or inflammatory variety, which they end up blamming on GMOs or vaccines. These medical problems also correlate with mood disorders, and anyone that knows bipolar people understands that there seems to be a very strong link between bipolar and inflammatory diseases. If you surveyed 100 people with severe fibromyalgia, probably 50% of them are bipolar and 90% of them have been told (on the internet) that it’s because of GMOs. Any con man knows that these people are the low hanging fruit of vulnerable people that can be exploited.

3 Likes

Has it always been like this? In the 1950s were there people still ranting about the Spanish-American War? But Glenn Beck still goes on a tear about Woodrow Wilson.

1 Like

2 Likes

The thing is that there is a very real urge to destroy time, meaning, and reality itself.

People go to a psychiatrist and sit there in silence for an hour so they can destroy someone else’s time and tell themselves “I’m winning!”

The problem with getting pulled into a multi-year debates with these folks is that some of them will eventually end up homeless, and you may get dragged down the same rat hole with them. They’d be happy to see that, they’d love the company.

Check the online profile of anyone who is blogging about being homeless and see how many of them describe themselves as “Foodies” or something similar. It is quite eye opening.

Who is John Birch?

1 Like

He and that pigfucker Galt are always screeching about green steel and The Reds and whatnot. Throw a wounded kitten in their direction every now and again and they’ll generally leave you alone.

3 Likes

What’s sad is how many of them had chronic illness caused by “natural” treatments (drinking hydrogen peroxide until they vomit, or who have calcified depression into wanting a more physical diagnosis/explanation. Doctor/quack hunting until someone will shrug and label them with “atypical cystic fibrosis” or similar. Or just fashionably making up a condition like morgellons. Real problems, but their diagnoses are faulty, and the treatment is absolutely hostile to leading a normal life.

Eh, I feed the homeless regularly including a lot of younger street kids and never see this. People have preferences, but I never hear many complaints or experience this fussiness.

Now, I used to be a part of my local food scene and there were a lot of idiots/crazies, but there but there’s no regular intersection with the homeless.

3 Likes

I highly suggest you read

It explains right wing talk radio’s connection with quackery, and how talk radio became beloved among conservatives.

1 Like

Oh god, morgellons… those poor poor people. Any snake oil peddler selling “cures” for morgellons needs to be arrested and locked up! UGH!

2 Likes