Profile of Wendy Froud, the Mother of Yoda

Originally published at: Profile of Wendy Froud, the Mother of Yoda | Boing Boing

8 Likes

8 Likes

“They don’t fully believe.” …

Oh Sister Mother, I feel your pain.

2 Likes

“Hoopy!”

-Gene Roddenberry

1 Like

When Baby Yoda was first shown on The Mandalorian I thought “that’s so cool how they animated the cgi baby to move like the OG Yoda puppet from Empire!” It took a couple episodes for me to realize they went full puppet and not puppet-y cgi.

6 Likes

We’d see the whole family at the Festival of Books at UCLA in the late 90s. They’re great!

It would be rewarding to chat with former puppeteer turned editor Kathleen O’David.

Thanks!

2 Likes

it’s still not possible i think to make cgi feel as real as good puppets. it’s getting close enough people maybe don’t notice in the moment , but - yeah - there’s always the lingering feeling that it’s not quite right

the lighting’s off, the other actors aren’t interacting with it naturally, it’s movements are either too smooth or too stiff, or it looks too perfect in some intangible way

cg is cool, but if it’s supposed to look realistic: give me puppets and practical effects any day

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.