Programming language inventor or serial killer?

Originally published at: Programming language inventor or serial killer? | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I got 7 out of 10, but I knew two of them already, so not that much better than chance.

3 Likes

I mean it’s just a bunch of pictures of random people. Not sure what you’re supposed to glean from that.

5 Likes

The lesson is that most any rando you pass on the street—or even someone you know personally—could secretly be a programming language inventor.

23 Likes

Is that the official explanation for Visual Basic now

10 Likes

I got 9/10 without recognizing anyone. What I glean from it is people publish slightly different styles of photo for academics and criminals.

3 Likes

Answering ‘serial killer’ for all gets 5/10.

2 Likes

i got 8/10 when i changed the game to “quantity surveyor or insurance adjuster?”
(the latter has a tell in the form of an evil smirk)

2 Likes

Did somebody just say quantity surveying?

4 Likes

… I was expecting it to be more like “Draw a line between each programming language on the left and the corresponding notorious crime on the right”

2 Likes

I noticed he programmed in Scheme

6 Likes

I would very much like to see some quotes from programming language inventors who also happen to be serial killers and vice versa.

3 Likes

To this day I think about the time I wasn’t chosen as a victim because I didn’t know C++…

6 Likes

Yes but since I already knew two, I was only guessing for 8 - so my 5 out of 8 is slightly better than chance, neglecting that it’s a small ensemble, in which case it’s indeed basically chance.

1 Like

I a totally unexpected reversal of things answering “programming language inventor” every time also results in a 5/10 result… What kind of evil sorcery is this?!?

3 Likes

Basically?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got every single one wrong. There’s no way it’s chance that happened

5 Likes

9 out of 10.
But I recognized Bertrand Meyer and Guido van Rossum.

I would have liked some “both” options, for people such as Hans Reiser.

OK, not serial and a filesystem instead of a programming language, but still…

3 Likes

8/10, but maybe it was actually right in all cases. :thinking:

2 Likes

I know it’s not really VB I’m about to praise, but the application builder IDE that came with it has never been beat and really needed something as simple as VB to be as fun and fast as it was.

2 Likes