Protestor attempted to glue herself to floor during NBA game

And a sticky situation was avoided.

4 Likes

This feels like the sort of thing someone who has heard of glue but somehow never used it before would do.

In her defense, This to That (Glue Advice) doesn’t have “human” as an option.

4 Likes

All I can think of is that anyone who would try to glue themself to a large, immobile structure demonstrates a tremendous amount of trust in the kindness of others.

2 Likes

And the ghosts of their ancestors.

hhg3_small

5 Likes

Actually, he doesn’t own the team anymore; which seems in keeping with the general quality of thinking going into this protest.

Vine Ok GIF

4 Likes

I think we’ll see more of this. There were recently a couple of cases of climate change activists chaining themselves to the goalpost in English soccer matches, it seems to be the publicity tactic du jour. Glue was also successful in the ‘insulate Britain’ protests on the M25.

Safety tip: Do not use hot-melt glue!

2 Likes

I’m gluing myself to the floor Right Now!

2 Likes

Or someone who’s knowledge of glue comes entirely from Road Runner cartoons.

3 Likes

That would have been a technical foul

1 Like

I think it worked brilliantly (no sarcasm here)… whatever you need to do to gain attention without violence works in my book.

We know about an issue because a protester saw the greater good by attempting a ridiculous gambit. I’d be happy to be labeled an ‘idiot’ to raise awareness so effectively.

It probably wasn’t. Convincing people is only one possible use of protest and is one of the less common ones. This appears to be somewhere on the raising awareness - obstructing your target spectrum. Despite the technical failure of the glue, the protest worked on that front. I knew absolutely nothing about the owner of the Timberwolves, now I know about his agricultural holdings and accusations of poor conditions. The first step to convincing me that something needs to be done is informing me that a problem exists. More people know about the accusation from this poorly thought out stunt than a week of handing out literature or writing blogs about it.

Not all “awareness” is created equal though. I’m likely to look at a stunt like this, not read past the headline, think “this woman is an idiot, so whatever her cause is is probably silly too” and move on. Or worse, think that she has her facts wrong and the problem isn’t real because she’s clearly an idiot. A well written blog piece on this issue is something I would read and take seriously. Idiots doing stunts undermine their causes in some cases.

1 Like

I would read a well written blog post about the issue, and have read some pieces, following this, but some of those pieces were written well before this incident and none of them reached me. I would be willing to guess that they also hadn’t reached most of the people reading this thread. There’s been a raging argument over VSD+ for years (particularly since Covid) and it was completely invisible to me. I’m also pretty sure it wasn’t on the radar of a lot of the people writing the cogent explainer articles now. I don’t imagine that many people who learn about VSD+ are going to switch their feelings about mass animal euthanasia based on the behavior of the protester, but a lot of people are going to learn about it from zero, so I think it is a net positive for the cause.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.