Pseudoscientific terror ended fluoridation in Calgary, now kids' teeth are rotting

7 Likes

Yeah, funnily enough, the purity from contamination by heavy metals of your ā€˜precious bodily fluidsā€™ does impact health and wellness. Whoā€™dā€™a thunk, amirite?

Bringing GIF support to Windows since 1996.

1 Like

Fight bravely against the unholy three - fluoridation, vaccines, and mental health.

5 Likes

What, halogen ions depassivate lead pipes at a certain pH? Yeah, water engineers never knew that. Or maybe they did and what happened in Flint was due to the gross incompetence of penny-pinching assholes. It is incredibly obvious to me that you are conflating five or six different things that are at best tangentially related. The NRC conclusions were more concerned about enamel fluorosis and made a recommendation to lower F levels and continue further studies. Zero conclusions are drawn about neurotoxic effects. Lead contamination from pipes will continue to be a danger in communities that continue to use lead pipe. In Flint, it was chlorine, and chloride ions are always at a higher molar concentration because chlorine ions are not known to pose a risk to human health in the same way fluorine is.

You want to get rid of lead in water? Not using lead pipes and solder, slowly retrofitting old lead pipes with other metals, and maintaining appropriate pH in the system are better precautions by far. Unfortunately no one wants to pay higher taxes for appropriate water treatment. We shit into a bowl of fresh water every day without thinking about where it comes from or the industrial and scientific infrastructure necessary to make that act possible. It takes a tragedy like Flint to get people thinking about their water utilities, and then they focus on the most red herring ridiculous conspiracy-laden bullshit available. So no, donā€™t worry about the privatization of your water utility, or the steady decrease in tax dollars that support those utilities, or the utility of a grey water infrastructure, or DBP contaminant levels and the many, many, many, other issues in water treatment today. Letā€™s all worry about fluoride, instead.

Donā€™t cherry pick from studies and research. Read the whole damn thing or at least get the gist of it. Finding one sentence here or there in a study doesnā€™t support your argument. Thatā€™s not how scientists read the literature, because that would be a stupid way to read the literature. Occasionally weā€™ll develop hypotheses based on an odd statement or two, but we donā€™t construct a damning case around it.

13 Likes

I have distrusted fluoridation since it reached concentrations to wipe out a fish tank.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œActionAbe, post:148, topic:74001ā€]
Donā€™t cherry pick from studies and research.[/quote]
I hear similar arguments against glyphosate, tobacco, asbestos, and other forms of toxicological harm direct and indirect. I believe arguments such as yours are made from a very difficult position to defend: that we needednā€™t prove safety of industrial toxins or resolve questions when conflicts with public or environmental wellbeing are reasonable raised, and with cause. Whether or not fluoridation is directly harmful is beside the point if it enables the lead weā€™ve intansigently refused to remove from our potable water systems to be more readily uptaken and absorbed by the body, as multiple studies have shown, regardless of your wrongful allegations of ā€˜cherry picking.ā€™ The harms of lead are no mystery, they were understood 2000 years ago because of their impacts on health and wellness. Weā€™ve seen such impacts from lead plumbing in the US in accounts as far back as 1838, and recurring here and elsewhere when the inevitable impacts were dealt with time and time again by physicians and public health officials.

How did you come to determine that fluoride was the cause of your tankā€™s casualties?

4 Likes

Way to not address anything I said or your misrepresentations of the science. If you donā€™t like to read scientific articles, please donā€™t cite them.

5 Likes

Why would I worry about any of those things when I am on a private well at 2600m elevation in the Rocky Mountains? Thereā€™s a good reason to worry about the fluoridation and that is because of the industrial aluminium and phosphate fertilizer sources of Hexafluorosilicic acid as well as the actual purity of what is delivered and distributed in water. People are paying for the privilege of having someoneā€™s problem, someoneā€™s industrial waste, dumped into their potable water supply. Itā€™s perverse. I think the harms of lead, its near-universal exposure in residences and businesses, particularly in those built before 1987, are incontrovertible. The synergy between fluoride and lead when consumed as water or foods cooked in or made of such water is also not a matter of controversy.

Got anything to say about the actual topic? :slight_smile:

ARE you actually saying that the US Department of Health and Human Services are ā€œconspiracy theoristsā€ ?

Soā€¦ are you a sock pocket or is this one a sock puppet?

4 Likes

Itā€™s sad that Calgary made an ignorant and scientifically illiterate decision.

No, but believing the HHS back your deluded view is a nice illustration of confirmation bias.

Anyway, Iā€™ve had these chats enough times to know the outcome. The problem here is that you are so certain that little things like facts or reality arenā€™t going to stand in the way of your belief in the conspiracy, since every tiny scrap that looks like it might back you up matters far more to you than the overwhelming heap of evidence thatā€™s already been presented to you.

Bye.

4 Likes

This whole threadā€¦

10 Likes

Iā€™m curious as well. Thereā€™s a lot of things that can genocide a tropical fish tank. Salinity being off, over chlorination, too much ammonia, temperature, not acclimatizing your fish long enough before dumping them in, fin rot, bacteria, parasites, fungus, the agitator not working properly/oxygen stones getting clogged, not enough flow in the tank to keep keep the water from stratifying, sometimes even stress caused by an inconsistent light cycle. What would single out fluoride as the single most likely culprit?

7 Likes

Well, Iā€™m certain of one thing-- you donā€™t get two shots at this, your children donā€™t get two shots at this, if you get it wrong, and so, caution where hazard is reasonably found is prudent and justified. Itā€™s a public health hazard.

Donā€™t let the door hit you on the way out, sir.

Letā€™s not bring vaccination into this.

11 Likes

rimshot

Just one more thingā€¦ who said it was a tropical tank?

9 Likes

I was going with most common kind of fish people attempt to keep in a tank.

6 Likes