Psygnosis Amiga Game Generator

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/06/psygnosis-amiga-game-generator.html

6 Likes

18 Likes

I get why all of these are so intense, but my first exposure to Psygnosis was actually Wiz ‘n’ Liz, which had an interesting subtle dark streak despite the cutesy title and elements.

They were bought by Sony in 1993, but still kept an unusual degree of independence even as they were getting capitalized into one of the world’s largest game development studios for the Playstation. So you’d have all these mainstream franchises going on, but with these weird edges and whatnot. (And it could come out on Nintendo or Dreamcast too)

2 Likes

Awesome.

(Yes, that is actually a Psygnosis reference, not just a compliment.)

2 Likes

cf.

5 Likes

Loved the Amiga. Had full access to the one in High School.

1 Like

And probably Psygnosis’ most popular game was Lemmings, which was entirely cutesy. Although I suppose it may not count as a “true Psygnosis” game as it was only published by them, not developed by them.

4 Likes

Man, everything about Psygnosis game boxes oozed an inexplicable cool. I remember lingering over copies of Baal and Obitus in my local Electronics Boutique or Software, Etc., enticed by the box art, but cautious of the lack of any indication whatsoever that the games were actually any good.

In fact, emulators and services like Steam and GOG.com are probably one of the greatest things to happen in terms of bringing closure to my younger self. It’s nice that I can finally know that my decision to walk out of the store with Monkey Island 2 over Armour-Geddon was a good one.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Link yeilds a 404:

1 Like

3 Likes

This is brilliant. I love all the classic Roger Dean art in inappropriate settings.

6 Likes

As it happened, I ran across this article after leaving The Lair of the Defecator…

2 Likes

Never played games much on mine but (back in the day) I’d get stoned and make designs on the paint program, whatever it was called- the one with mirrors, strobes and stamps. Anybody know what I’m talking about? Wish I could get that for Windows.

1 Like

“…the world’s first psychedelic computer…”

What?

Kai’s Power Tools, possibly? I never used it but I definitely remember checking out the box many times.

1 Like

easily my favorite one yet

Yep. 

3 Likes

Entirely? You must be forgetting the suicide bombers.

4 Likes