Pumpkin Spice Spam hitting stores in September

Spam is good with poi.
That’s not to say that poi is good, just that it’s better with some spam.

5 Likes

Can we raise Vidal Sassoon from the dead too?

7 Likes

Sadly, he’s gone. Interesting guy - and he was only 5’ 4” and tore through 18 Nazis like they were tissue paper!

“ So many of our fictional heroes, from Tarzan to James Bond, are variations on the superman theme. Here is the true story of a man who realized that myth: Joseph Greenstein, “The Mighty Atom”. He was a modern-day Samson who could stop bullets and hold back roaring airplanes, a man who rose from the Jewish ghettos of Poland to become the most remarkable strongman of the century.

The Spiritual Journey of Joseph L. Greenstein, World’s Strongest Man is a fully-documented and illustrated biography that also details the methods Greenstein used to train himself for the “impossible”. As a vaudeville star, he bit through iron bars, crushed steel spikes in his hands, and held back airplanes tied to his hair. These feats were all the more amazing because he stood only five feet four inches and weighed in at just 145 pounds. But The Mighty Atom had developed his own technique for tapping into the "life-force; " a technique that encompassed Asian methods of concentration, Jewish mystical writings, and a then-unheard-of vegetarian natural diet. He unlearned the subconscious mechanism that forces us to stop when we think we have reached our physical limits. Each time he broke an iron chain, he revealed the enormous potential of the life-force. That potential exists inside every one of us and, as The Mighty Atom showed, it is within our grasp.”

5 Likes

Cool.

Let’s remember James Doohan- shot six times on D Day - and called “the craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force”

And

17 Likes

I am envious! The stores around here all sell little shrink-wrapped factory-made onigiri rice balls that are like $5 for a few bites, which is ridiculous. I loved getting them at the Lawsons in Japan for a few hundred yen.

I was so excited to try poi when I went to Hawaii for the first time.
I consider myself a very open minded eater, but man, that stuff tastes like wallpaper paste. Spam absolutely improves it.

3 Likes

I’ll admit that I did a one eyebrow raise w/mustache twirl at the punkin spiced Spam n cornbread idea …

3 Likes

They’re just a bunch of establishment stuffed shirts who couldn’t see the artistic value of the NAMBLA SpamTM Pert Peaches Pageant and International Wet Underoos Contest

1 Like

My recollection (and I am not going to go check, okay?) is that “pumpkin” is used to refer to any winter squash in other parts of the world. So, it is a little like “corn/grain.” i.e. not a lie.

The world has gotten so click-baity though. I wonder why?

3 Likes

You’ll never believe these twelve reasons the world has got so click-baity!!

14 Likes

Origin: A variant or alteration of another lexical item. Etymons: English pumpion , pompion n., -kin suffix.

Etymology: Alteration of pumpion , variant of pompion n. (see γ. forms(Show More)

Thesaurus »

Categories »

a. Originally: any of various kinds of edible gourd. Now: the fruit of any of several plants of the genus Cucurbita (family Cucurbitaceae), which typically have a thick orange rind and are cooked as vegetables or (esp. in the United States) used in sweet dishes, esp. as a pie filling; ( U.S. ) any of the larger, long-lasting varieties of gourd, produced by trailing plants (contrasted with a squash ).In quot. 1647 apparently with reference to the poor (pumpkin-rich) diet of early settlers.

1647 N. Ward Simple Cobler Aggawam 67 He would come over to us, to helpe recruite our pumpkin blasted braines [1647 ( another ed. ) bewildred braines].

1648 Proc. Provincial Court 2 Oct. in W. H. Browne Arch. Maryland (1887) IV. 412 His pumkin Vines, wch…the hogs of the sd Edward Hall had spoyled.

1653 J. Quarles Tyranny of Dutch against Eng. ii. 51 We put into a small Port, called the Boohoole, which we afterwards named the Pumpkin-Bay, because of its fertility in bearing of Pumpkins.

1664 J. S. Παιδων Νοσηματα iii. 112 Outwardly use…the Juice of Lettice, Pomkins, and Melons, the flesh whereof may be pounded, and the Juyce prest out.

1670 D. Denton Brief Descr. N.-Y. 3 Tobacco, Hemp, Flax, Pumpkies, Melons, &c.

1721 J. Mortimer Whole Art Husb. (ed. 4) II. 174 Squashes are a small sort of Pumpkin lately brought into request.

1790 J. White Jrnl. Voy. New S. Wales 64 The gardens furnish…melons, excellent pumpkins.

1818 E. P. Fordham Narr. Trav. 204 I like corn or hoe cakes…and stewed pumpkins very well.

1825 J. Pickering Inq. Emigrant (1831) 63 Pumpkins (Americans call them punkins ) are very large.

1932 R. Macaulay They were Defeated i. ix. 64 Your corn-sheaves and your punkins and your pigs.

1983 M. Gee Sole Survivor xix. 203 Lamb and roasted pumpkin with peas and new potatoes.

2003 Valley Independent (Monessen, Pa.) 28 Oct. 8/4 Gently scratch your name in your pumpkin when it is just beginning to grow on the vine. Your name will get bigger and bigger.

Thesaurus »

Categories »

b. Any of the annual plants producing such fruit. Now: spec. the vegetable marrow ( Cucurbita pepo ), the crookneck squash ( C. moschata ), and the winter squash ( C. maxima ), which are native to warm regions of America and are typically a long trailing vine, with lobed leaves and deep yellow, star-shaped flowers; = pumpkin vine n. at Compounds 2.

1698 J. Fryer New Acct. E.-India & Persia 105 Planted with…Pompkins, Cucumbers, Gourds.

1704 Nat. Hist. ix, in L. Wafer New Voy. & Descr. Isthmus Amer. (ed. 2) 256 Great Pumpkin. Its Fruit striated, round, but somewhat flattish, mixt with white and red, but within yellow.

1877 A. B. Edwards Thousand Miles up Nile xvii. 463 A wall of enclosure overgrown with wild pumpkins.

1896 Science 7 Feb. 204/2 The strictly agricultural plants, such as corn, beans, potatoes and pumpkins, ought to be sown in one bed.

1915 Biol. Bull. 28 434 This lady beetle feeds upon the leaves of pumpkin and of allied plants.

1991 P. Levine What Work Is ii. 24 The silver trails stretch from leaf to chewed off leaf of the runners of pumpkin to disappear in the cover of sheaves and bowed grass.

5 Likes

I really like the 1647 reference. It’s a great start.

3 Likes

I have spam once a year when we go to Kauai. Well, probably more than once.
Goes great with a Maui Big Swell IPA.

3 Likes

I got dibs on “bewildred braines” for my next band name.

4 Likes

AIKZ

3 Likes

I was going to so no, a pumpkin is a pumpkin in OZ - then I remembered butternut squash - which also goes by the moniker butternut pumpkin - but i can’t think of any other squash that qualifies.
Of note - we bake or boil our punkins - they are never considered a dessert - so no pie here! Although pumpkin scones are a rather esoteric obscurity.

1 Like

#brexit stockpiling

1 Like

Nice, hah.

Interesting that the guy looks pretty average. This is the body of any run of the mill gym bro these days.

Many years back my wife (then girlfriend) had a blog called “Matted Spam” named that because of the Badfinger song by the same name (they are her favorite band).

For fun I designed a bumper sticker for her with “I :heart: Matted Spam” on it and I put it on Cafe Press so I could get a couple printed to give to her as a surprise gift, and then I forgot about it; leaving it up on Cafe Press.

Awhile later I got cease & desist letters from both Hormel and the advertising agency behind “I :heart: NY” both insisting that I was causing brand confusion, even though it had nothing to do with either of them. I have the letters stashed somewhere. I should try and find them.

It was the first time I was targeted by giant companies flexing their huge lawyer muscles for something I made that had nothing to do with them, but it wasn’t the last.

A long way for me to say, despite their history and everything they did to help defeat the Nazis back in the day, fuck them today.

Maybe that was the problem. I wasn’t supporting their product. But I also wasn’t even referencing their product. So I stand by my feelings on the matter.

2 Likes

No Germans in the cake, no pumpkin in the pie…it’s all a lie. Like one of Trump’s speeches.