Pumpkin Spice Spam hitting stores in September

Well, you used two brand trademarks on a product you were selling (to yourself, but still). Brand/copyright lawyers really hate it when people do that stuff and CafePress is notorious for sending all of the products made on their site to folks who make their money litigating anything remotely brand-infringing. I got cease-and-desisted last year for trying to make a shirt with a raven on it and some vaguely medieval font, with some lawyer saying I was infringing on Game of Thrones trademarks.

2 Likes

My last visit to Japan involved a lot of visits to Lawson and Family Mart for breakfast or lunch. The most disappointing thing was finding my hotel on one of the islands in Okinawa prefecture was 2 miles from the nearest convenience store.

It’s covered in Jerwin’s comment above. It seems more a thing of the past that all squash grown on a vine was called pumpkin. Winter squash we now call them because they store well. I guess your example shows the transition, with the old name holding on for some.

Most pumpkins here are left to rot on the porch after being used for a night as a jack-o-lantern on Halloween (I exaggerate, but only the rotting on the porch part.) Pumpkin Pie is something you buy in the store. Eating pumpkin almost never happens, but it probably would be baked with a ton of butter added at the end. I’m growing a bunch now. So will be experimenting soon.

2 Likes

Which, given Canadian pilots’ reputation for generalized craziness (whaddya expect from a bunch of bush pilots?) is quite the accomplishment. The original Crazy Canucks weren’t a ski team.

5 Likes

oh you silly gooses, this product actually makes sense.

spam is just canned ham style loaf product.

pumpkin spice is the exact same spices used to candy ham for the holidays.

slice this spam up and glaze it with some maple syrup in the frying pan and i bet you end up with something that would be delicious with a potato hash on a camping trip.

these spices make more sense on ham then in most products like lattes.

3 Likes

i love baked pumpkin. tastes a lot like kabocha or hubbard squashes. lots of butter is always a good idea! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s kind of fascinating that here in America we’ve gotten so used to thinking of “pumpkin” as a sweet dessert flavor; “pumpkin” is the taste of autumn, cinnamon, nutmeg, and whipped cream. Whereas pretty much everywhere else in the world, pumpkin is thought of as a savory squash to be baked or roasted.

Which leads to fun bafflement when Americans travel and encounter pumpkin in their curry, their sandwich, or their pizza, and get all freaked out and whine about only having pumpkin in their pie at Thanksgiving… while the locals recoil and shudder when they hear about candy-sweet “pumpkin” flavored lattes.

3 Likes

Do not call up things you can not put down!!!
Have we not learn anything?

Gym bros have show muscles, not practical muscles. They have the kind of muscles that are useless for manual labor or for fighting.

4 Likes

Pumpkin (or other squashes) are great in soup; no need stop with butternut!

1 Like

That depends. The ones that train purely for aesthetics have less functional strength, that’s true, but they will still be much more useful than someone who doesn’t train at all.

Training for strength instead without juicing will make you look similar to this man, just a bit more buff due to nutrition available today. And you will be a very welcome guest at your friend’s on moving day.

One of the nearby towns offers pumpkin composting. Leave the halloween relics next to the trash and they’ll come pick them up. You can be pretty sure that the pumpkin compost will be free of herbicides too, making it great for seed starting.

2 Likes

That’s kind of the listicle take on the thing. But “pumpkin” is a term more based on shape than anything else, pumpkins are squash. And there’s at least 3 species involved, all of which contain multiple things labeled pumpkins or squashes. And some things that get to be both pumpkins and squash.

Most pumpkins are C. Pepo, but they’re mostly ornamentals and aren’t very good for eatin’.

Your prime eating pumpkins are C. moschata, same species as butternut squash. Or C. maxima.

And that’s where the “its not even pumpkin!” comes from. People wondering why their pie made from watery sugar pumpkins and ornamentals meant for jack-o’-lanterns look at the canned pumpkin and see its a varietal more related to butternut squash and run with it. In the wrong direction.

The canned pumpkin is Dickinson Pumpkin. Which is really a pumpkin, and has been considered a pumpkin since well before we started canning it for pie filling. And the “real” pumpkins that are blowing your mind are as closely related to zucchini and acorn squash as the Dickinson is to butternut.

Essentially any round or roundish winter squash, without a distinct neck and thinner walls or a large seed cavity.

Whether they’re worth eating will be down to what varietal. From the pic those look like classic porch pumpkins, which aren’t great. I can recommend Long Island Cheese Pumpkins, Jarrahdale, Hubbard, and Fairy Tale Pumpkins. Jarrahdale and Hubbard pumpkins also often go by squash. Generally anything with a blue or pale skin is good eating.

1 Like

Wow, you can tell from seeing just a corner? Are you sure you aren’t suffering confirmation bias? I have maybe 5 varieties plus a number of plants from last years limited but mixed harvest that will be some interesting mix. I’ve grown way too much, but they are all supposed to be good eating pumpkins the seeds of which I purchased from quality small producers (e.g. not burpee.) I moved to the country and said,"What am I going to do with a garden this size? So I am growing a lot of pumpkin and winter squash this year so we can see how long they can last in the garage waiting for us to need them. Did this city boy know how big pumpkin plants get? No, not really, but it is kind of thrilling and is for sure f*ing beautiful. We grow a lot of other things too, of course. Planted a few seeds from a spaghetti squash Kathy bought at the co-op and they, too, have taken over large patches. I love a messy garden. My weeds think I am an okay dude.

There are some exceptions but deep orange skin and a nice round shape with thin external ribbing usually means pepo pumpkins. Which usually means ornamentals. But there are some big orange pepos meant for eating, we had to breed down all of those pretty pumpkins from something.

They’re just not gonna taste like that classic pumpkin we think of. They’ll taste like their relatives acorn and spaghetti squash. So it you like those you’ll probably like those pumpkins. But even among heirlooms there’s a lot of confusion about which pumpkins are eating pumpkins there’s a lot of fairly old varietals bred down from ornamentals with thingsp like “sweet” and “pie” in their name. Basically attempts to develop better flavor in lines meant more for looks, that’s what the Sugar Pumpkin is on about. It gets pushed as a pie pumpkin but it tastes nothing like traditional pumpkin pie.

I grew up in a major pumpkin growing area, one of the spots where heirlooms stuck around. Long Island Cheese Pumpkins are so called because the cultivar only survived here and were rediscovered at farms near where I live. So I know waaaaay too much about pumpkins.

Try this when they’re ready:

Its old french farmhouse dish for dealing with pumpkins. Though finding one small enough to make it not insane is tricky.

Wow, thanks for such a great reply after my snippy one.
I suppose I should have thought that a seed catalog is going to go after the pumpkins with the best picture rather than the better tasting but funny looking ones. Even a so called alternative catalog.
This winter I am going to look a little deeper. Thanks for alerting me,
and for the recipe. It looks yummy.

Where ever you’re getting your seeds from its helpful to research specific cultivars or groups first then seek out seeds because even heirlooms exist for different reasons. Catalogs often have good info that can help you narrow it down, a lot of them will list specific resistances to plant diseases or soil problems for example. And there’s not much issue with just growing a bunch of shit and figuring out what works. But if you’re looking for something specific you won’t neccisarily find the info you need direct from a retailer.

As an example I like Thai food, but can’t reliably get Thai basils here. And wanted to grow some Thai holy basil. Holy basil plants and seeds are pretty widely available from seed catalogs, especially heirloom and specialty companies. But almost all of them are selling Indian cultivars intended to make incense that are unpleasant to eat. Not the tasty Thai varieties. To get Thai holy basil I had to order Thai seeds, from Thailand through Amazon.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.