Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant land.

6 Likes

I’m in the market for a new bed sometime this year and I’d looked at Purple Mattress. Might be the best bed ever but it’s off my list.

I’m also really unclear as to how it’s legal to issue a preliminary injunction without feedback from the defendants in a case that doesn’t appear to be open-and-shut against the defendants. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the U.S. legal system or maybe Ryan is misrepresenting when he was notified but that sounds like a “reprimand the judge” situation to me if everything is as described.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Ugh, everyone’s talking about the lawsuit, but it seems to me the central matter is whether or not we can snort the white powder without getting cancer. When will we get our answers!?!?

4 Likes

Why are trade secrets more important than the health of consumers?

4 Likes

money  

6 Likes

Impudent…

1 Like

It’s because you used all the
#SHOUTY KEYS

on your keyboard; throw a hidden character ( &n bs p; or whatever) behind that and suddenly you’ll be speaking in complete sentences again.

6 Likes

I can think of several chairs less than that. Perhaps they should have used a stool.

2 Likes

It would appear their

Purple Reign

…is about to end.

5 Likes

It does really make you wonder. I imagine that almost any powder would work to not get plastic to stick to itself, say cornstarch or something else “food grade” that’s relatively innocuous. Can’t be any sort of magical business preserving trade secret.

Makes you think that they’re really hiding knowledge of some known health risk, and somewhere in a meeting room at the PurpleMattress HQ, they’re sitting there going “Shit! I told you we shouldn’t use old asbestos as the anti-stick powder, even if it was free!”.

2 Likes

Purple’s own response actually seems relatively level headed and sane:

I did not get around to watching the video yet but it seems this is a bit less open and shut then it seems.

1 Like

“It’s just cocaine to make you feel better when you test the mattress”

3 Likes

[quote=“Bobo, post:32, topic:100609”]
I imagine that almost any powder would work to not get plastic to stick to itself, say cornstarch or something else “food grade” that’s relatively innocuous.[/quote]

I think this is supposed to stay on the bed for the duration (to reduce squeaking), not just during shipping, so something edible like cornstarch would probably be a mistake: mold and bugs. My guess would be an inert plastic dust. I was looking at seat cushions made from this material (not from this company, but the same color and likely out of the same factory), and wouldn’t decide against it based on such powder.

[quote=“kingannoy, post:33, topic:100609”]
I did not get around to watching the video yet but it seems this is a bit less open and shut then it seems.[/quote]

Since the person being sued ran a PR firm with the main competition as a client, I’m not sure he’s any more trustworthy than the purple guys.

The mattress business has long been strange, with dealers going out of their way to make comparison shopping difficult and “sales” on all the time. It most resembles the used car industry. I would have hoped that online mattress might have disrupted that, but it seems t have its own problems.

3 Likes

The “open and shut” part is that the ‘Purple’ outfit managed to go from allegation to restraining order in about a week without any chance for the reviewer to respond.

I have no idea whether the review is solid, spurious, part of a sinister plot by competitors, etc. but the court’s actions are deeply unimpressive.

3 Likes

But it’s my only line! :cry:

2 Likes

Level headed and sane, but as the top comment under that post points out, they don’t actually reasonably counter the inhalation worries.

If there is no proof for any problems how do you counter that? How do you counter people that say Wi-Fi makes you sick? What is those people used to work for a company that sells Ethernet cables?

If the claim is baseless, ignoring it may be their best course of action.

Sorry, “counter” was the wrong word there. i should have said “… don’t actually reasonably discuss …”. Seriously, read the comment i linked to. It’s a well-written comment remarking on the fact that the links that the company spokesperson posted are, once you drill down to the actual academic/data-filled papers cited, either irrelevant or not accessible despite the commentors academic connections (i.e. they can see most academic papers freely through their university connection).