‘Put them all in a gas chamber,’ said Border militia member, 'go back to Hitler days' — Report

Roger That!

4 Likes

“The grave you dig for someone else is the one you will rot in.”

27 Likes

Do unto Neo-nazis as they would do unto others.

13 Likes

If we, as a country, hate Nazis so much, then why do we keep punishing them?

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant “electing them”. Stop f***ing electing them.

10 Likes

Dave Chappelle had a famous sketch of a black KKK member who was blind and no one ever told him he was black. I guess this is life imitating art.

6 Likes

The biggest thing is that we lump people south of the border together in a homogeneous “other”, whether we’re liberal or conservative.

The refugees are primarily from Central America.

Mexicans are not Central American. A lot of the refugees seeking asylum don’t even speak Spanish.

Even within Mexico, there’s a huge division and a variety of different ethnic groups Americans don’t understand. A lot of the Mexicans who got here legally are middle to upper class, and are heavily Spanish/German/French stock (guerros), while the illegal Mexican laborers, or migrant pickers, are Mestizos, which are more culturally indigenous and tend to be poor and screwed over in their own countries.

Then you get into South America, and it looks completely different, country by country, with different immigrant groups and class playing huge roles.

It’s all just … fucking complicated.

16 Likes

I understand. I’m using “anti-Mexican” in the 'Murican Sense, much the same way 'Muricans are “anti-Muslim” regarding the Sikh, or anyone with a head covering, for that matter.
Regardless, you’d think someone in a white supremacist group who had a Hispanic last name would probably have this pointed out to him on the regular. Perhaps it contributed to his self-loathing?

8 Likes

Or they were dissidents who sought asylum in foreign countries.

2 Likes

Even the Joker agrees.

So do Magneto and Doctor Doom, but that should be obvious since they are Jewish and Romani respectively.

15 Likes

Wasn’t Magneto originally Romani? I could swear he was, but Wikipedia says otherwise. Was there a retcon (or two or three or four) or am I just misremembering?

ETA: I did some light googling. There was some retconning (or if you prefer more backstory was revealed.)

3 Likes

I honestly don’t expect a lot of them to have the insight to undestand. We are talking about people who think that people who fight* against fascists before they become a problem are the real fascists.

* Not necessarily violent, see the British far-right’s attitude to Hope Not Hate.

9 Likes

They are a bunch of dirtbags but hearsay

is hearsay.

Yeah I’m always a bit shocked and saddened when I read stuff like this coming from latinx folks, stepping right into the kapo role.

3 Likes

Worth keeping in mind, as I have said before, Latin(-o,-a,-x) is a purely White concept. My “Latino” friends don’t describe themselves that way, but by country of origin. Columbian, Puerto Rican, Mexican, etc. Latino is a lazy, “aren’t they all the same” white person grouping. It is very much like describing French, English and Swiss as “European” and treating them as a monolithic group. And no, in my mind “it is easier to not have to ask” is not a reason for doing that.

12 Likes

The problem is, that is only a short-term solution. There is no solution to Nazism because it’s not just a group of people, it’s an idea. You can’t eradicate an idea. As long a humans are human, the bad, ugly, stupid, horrible ideas will keep springing up. It’s like weeds. There’s no way to get rid of weeds once and for all. You have to keep spraying them and digging them up every year, again and again and again. And so it is with Nazis. We can’t get rid of the idea of Nazism. All can do is keep stomping Nazis again and again and again.

4 Likes

Sounds like a plan to me.

7 Likes

“Black” is the same too. I get that American slavery created a specific history shared by many black Americans. But what’s the shared culture between a Jamaican and a Somali immigrant? Basically their shared culture is that both of them have to deal with the same racist cops.

8 Likes

Except for the ones that are in the US as refugees. There’s the Lautenberg Amendment, which was supposed to give Jews and other minorities from former soviet countries and other places refugee status. Now it’s being used to stack the US yearly refugee quota with white Christians.

Christian but not-so-white, or non-Christian? Nope!

https://www.uscirf.gov/news-room/press-releases/uscirf-concerned-denial-lautenberg-refugees-iran

The USCIRF is full of evangelicals, but I guess they didn’t get the racist game plan memo.

3 Likes

Because we’re Americans not Nazis???

I think (as a whitest white dude) that the biggest difference here is that slavery pretty much eliminated tribal identities. I suspect (without data) that Africans would be pretty turned off by being referred to as “Africans” rather than Tutsi, Maasi, etc. Again, lazy white people. Same re “Asians.”

5 Likes