Putin calls for invasion of Ukraine; UN security council meets

The press’s reporting and opinions are actually pretty much all over the place.

The mainstream western media has very consistently portrayed the EU deal in a positive light that outright ignores all the negative austerity trappings, military entanglements, etc. - as well as other issues I’ve mentioned.

I’ve got links and sources above to back up my opinions. I’d like to see yours.

And this isn’t going to lead to a cold war

I’ve never claimed that any one event is going to lead us back into a cold war with Russia, but I do see a pattern of events that could lead us to it.

Some of us saw this current escalation coming, we were ignored and now here we are as we predicted while many of you are caught with your pants down.

Once again, I’ve got links, sources and a predictive track record to back up my opinions. I’d like to see yours.

6 Likes

Agreed.

As Putin’s libido failed, he was always bound to do something as stupid as this.

1 Like

I despise Putin, but it’s yet to be seen how stupid his threats are within the geopolitical scheme of things. We will see.

[quote=“Cowicide, post:61, topic:24467”]
Some of us saw this current escalation coming, we were ignored and now here we are as we predicted while many of you are caught with your pants down.
[/quote]Unless you work for the state department or something, and believe I do as well, this is a really sad statement.

1 Like

See what Snowden got himself into?

Edward Snowden didn’t get himself into Russia, authoritarian elements of the United States government and the lackey nations who cowardly bent over backwards for the US got him stuck in Russia. Please get it straight.

7 Likes

”Well, that escalated quickly.”

Not really, but I don’t blame you for being surprised. Much of the mainstream western media chose to ignore those who’ve been warning about western meddling in the Ukraine for some time now.

Because it’s a load of crap. Austerity programs require there being something left to cut from domestic spending. Ukraine is rock bottom on that. And the Ukrainians had no illusions here. What trigged all this is that Ukrainians are so poor that to many young Ukies, the option of hopping on a bus to Paris, sleeping on park benches, washing dishes and coming back with some euros in the bank was attractive. (Horrible thing to need, but great thing to have if you need it.) Then Yanukovich decided to deny then that.

2 Likes

No, Snowden got himself stuck. If he had planned his moves right, he’d have wound up in Uruguay or Costa Rica, and at no risk of being used as a pawn in these games. And this is not a thread derail, because both countries show that you can, in fact, steer a country towards a left wing policy direction without also entangling yourself in a confrontation with the US/EU, and without having to get chummy with the likes of Putin.

You cannot frame this crisis as a result of the US military-industrial complex. Iraq, Sure. Crimea, Hell no.

Also, one other thing to digest. If the Tea Baggers or Occupy Wall Street here in the USA started trying to kill the police with molotov cocktails …

…I wouldn’t give Canada the benefit of the doubt when they invaded northern US states on the pretext of defending Canadian citizens and interests.

Talk all you want about the baddies involved in Ukraine’s internal power struggle, Russia’s moves in Crimea are indefensible.

3 Likes

Because it’s a load of crap.

Sorry, I’m not just going to take your word on it. You need to back yourself up with sources if you want anyone to take you even remotely seriously when your unfounded derision is up against someone like Stephen Cohen who says the opposite after many years of detailed research.

No, Snowden got himself stuck. If he had planned his moves right, he’d have wound up in Uruguay or Costa Rica,

You should get your facts straight before advising after the fact what Snowden should or shouldn’t have done. Snowden was forced to stay in Russia for the reasons I already gave. Sorry, but I’m going to go with actual history over your fantastical, revisionist conjecture.

Looks like you’re eating up authoritarian talking points instead of thinking for yourself again. And, putting yourself in the brave shoes of an American patriot like Snowden is laughable.

Educate yourself:

US admits contact with other countries over potential Snowden flights

Bolivia denies Snowden on president’s plane

Snowden stuck in Russia after Cuba blocked entry
http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBRE97P05D20130826?irpc=932

Snowden’s asylum options dwindle
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/politics/nsa-leak/

Ecuador’s president to U.S.: Don’t threaten us on Snowden case
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/28/world/americas/ecuador-snowden/

Like I said, Snowden didn’t choose Russia, authoritarian forces did it for him.

6 Likes

You cannot frame this crisis as a result of the US military-industrial complex. Iraq, Sure. Crimea, Hell no

Sorry, but that’s nothing more than over-simplistic drivel. How about going back and reading my posts in these threads instead of conjuring up a false argument?

I’ve made it very clear in every thread that this is a complex issue and you’d know that if you’d bothered to follow my links/sources/etc. My sources have already shown this situation was created by developing events over a period of time.

Nowhere have I claimed that one, single entity is responsible for an entire, amorphous “crisis” nor any single, amorphous “crisis”.

…I wouldn’t give Canada the benefit of the doubt when they invaded northern US states on the pretext of defending Canadian citizens and interests.

Talk all you want about the baddies involved in Ukraine’s internal power struggle, Russia’s moves in Crimea are indefensible.

You missed my point entirely. You should slow down, go back and read what I said in context.

3 Likes

Well, at least Obama phoned Putin to remind him that this is in “clear violation” of Ukraine’s sovereignty. I am sure Putin will lose sleep over that.

1 Like

Those “peaceful protestors” are aligned with neo-Nazis and have shot multiple police with sniper rifles as well as burned others alive.

This is what America supports:

“Who of you wants to take my assault-rifle away?
Who of you wants to take my pistol?
Who wants to take away my pistol, my assault-rifle or my knives?
If somebody wants to take them, let him come near and try!”

Real democrat, that guy.

Here we have “peaceful protestors” shooting at riot cops who are maintaining good discipline and not attacking back in the face of extreme provocation. There are some cops using rubber bullets while the protestors use live ammo.

This is a US-backed coup d’etat against an elected government just as in Venezuela.However unsavory that government might be the history of US-backed overthrows of democratically-elected governments throughout the world is that whatever followed was always worse than what preceded.

The neo-Nazis may not be the majority of protestors but they are the most organized, have their own political party and are willing to use extreme violence to achieve their ends. Mark my words when the dust settles they will be the ones in charge.

3 Likes

The people were resettled. No regard? How you say that?

Huh?

Stalin deported the Crimean Tatars. I’m not sure as regards the Crimean Jews and Germans. I think he left the Crimean Greeks, as well as the Crimean Ukrainians and Russians. So of course the Crimean Tatars have the right to return. But my point was and is that the Crimean people, that is the people living there and the refugees and deportees from there, shouldn’t be bargaining chips for Kyiv or Moskva or any intervening powers.

if by “retaliate” you mean “leave passive aggressive sticky notes on bulletin board”, then yes.

The Soviet delegation boycotted Security Council meetings in 1950, allowing the vote for military action in Korea to pass. I doubt they’d make the same mistake again, but you never know.

What does it make you if you do both?

3 Likes

gangs loyal to Yanukovuych

Ukrainian Crimea (60% ethnic Russian) overwhelmingly supported Yanukovuych in elections, it’s an error to assume that all pro-western, anti-incumbant causes are backed by the entire country.

And as an aside: Strategic naval base, leased to a large powerful External but close-by nation, violent régime change, large nation send troops to secure the leased area regardless of the will of the nation they are ‘invading’…Crimea 2014 or Cuba 1959?

Ooooh, careful with that. Ever heard about Palestine and Israel?

2 Likes