Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

In Chrome for Android on a Pixel 7 phone, ads are covering the post content and can’t be dismissed. It started happening in the last 2 weeks or so and it shows up in the middle of the post, anyone else seeing this?

3 Likes

I should add the bloomberg ad goes into the bottom right corner of the screen when I scroll down, but if I close it and scroll back up, the post content is still obstructed by a black rectangle where it used to be.

2 Likes

One way to fix the problem is to browse using the Brave browser. It has an ad blocker built-in, and will prevent most ads from overwriting the blog content, or displaying at all.

4 Likes

It looks like the picture in the onebox for Guardian vanishes after a few seconds. It’s been pretty consistent when I’ve posted links to there, not sure what other places have similar behavior.

1 Like

What’s up with this “Related” feature? It seems to pull in the most unrelated topics imaginable.

Good (Encouraging) stuff vs. “Fuck today”

9 Likes

The magic wand suggests it’s an AI feature (based on other places where it’s shown up in Discourse) so… you get what you pay for, I guess?

(Though it’s also used for “Blur Spoiler” so… :person_shrugging:)

5 Likes

So AI thinks that I want to revisit old, closed threads from 2015 and 2017? :thinking:

8 Likes

Episode 4 No GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

11 Likes

I tested a few topics today and it was working well for those:

Streamlining that icon is in my list for next week, maybe we go with :sparkles: that other companies are using.

There is a setting to remove closed topics from the AI pool, which is a better approach for some communities.

I will be around to hear feedback on this feature. Maybe we can split this into a separate topic ?

2 Likes

black-mirror-in-future

6 Likes

That gif is never not relevant, here in our shitty “future”… :rage:

7 Likes

c5125f8e-9c32-49fe-a4f1-6cc1f7b69286_text

9 Likes

Isn’t it though? I find myself increasingly identifying with it when i see more “AI” bullshittery being shoved in our faces as the answer to everything.

5 Likes

You Know It GIF by MOODMAN

So depressing… it’s “solutions” in search of problems that don’t exist…

7 Likes

Instead of clearing out my garden on a sunny day like I should have, I did end up going into some of those old closed topics. A lot of old long gone once-familiar faces, for better or worse. And some choice observations like this one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks like the options have changed again.

2 Likes

I still see it on mine… :thinking:

AI-stuff

4 Likes

Me too. I don’t see the wand for typing suggestions anymore, but it’s there for suggested topics.

5 Likes

Nervous Keanu Reeves GIF by IFC

5 Likes

Now I have no idea whats going on.

4 Likes