Quadruped robot can raise up on its hind legs

Originally published at: Quadruped robot can raise up on its hind legs | Boing Boing

2 Likes

ren-stimpy-horse-no-sir

8 Likes

Great, it’s like the robot from that Black Mirror episode “Metalhead” had a baby with the Wheelers from Return to Oz.

8 Likes

Not available on Amazon, yet.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Honestly, though…I could really get behind a push to integrate systems like this into physical assistance systems for folks who are physically challenged, like muscular dystrophy or amputees.

13 Likes

Maybe, but I don’t know if that needs to be a robot like this?

6 Likes

To be clear, I’m not pushing for a real-life Roujin Z

7 Likes

film scifi GIF

9 Likes

3 Likes

Scientists: “How can i hasten the robot uprising?”

Every fucking time.

13 Likes

As the robot mostly rolls, I wonder if there’s a better word to describe it than “quadruped”?

Quadruvolve kind of works, but applies to anything with 4 wheels.

Quadruvolvuped?
Quadrupeduvolve?

Maybe just ignore the 4 part and call it a volvuped or peduvolve.

2 Likes

This humanoid-quadruped transformer was trained with machine learning to roll on two wheels.

Welp, that seems appropriate. I’m glad it didn’t use animal learning.

3 Likes

Quadruped robot: “So. When do I lose these training wheels?”
Trainer: “Never.”

3 Likes

No wheels, but same vibe.

2 Likes

ready steady planet

2 Likes

Well, there goes our plan to avoid the robot uprising by putting important things up on the counter…

4 Likes

I feel like “humanoid” is a bit of a stretch.

Segway, before it was bought out by Ninebot, had a prototype vehicle called the Centaur which looked sort of like a go-kart. On four wheels it drove like one, too, but if the driver threw his body backward in the seat, the Centaur would go up on its rear wheels and proceed to glide like a Segway. I got to try it out, and I am here to testify that that thing was a blast and a half.

2 Likes

Your move, Boston Dynamics.

1 Like