Quarantining with ghosts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/14/quarantining-with-ghosts.html

3 Likes

If I was a single guy stuck in lockdown with one of the ghosts from that movie I’d keep my fingers crossed for the one who visited Dan Akroyd.

ectoplasm

5 Likes

:smiling_imp:

4 Likes

The truth is, if you feel like your house is haunted, exorcize your house of animal droppings, spores, molds, and fungus. Also, you might have a natural gas leak.

2 Likes

45 :question:

I think I see the problem here.

5 Likes

The problem is that 85% of Americans believe in the Sky Fairy, and far too many believe he’ll save them from COVID-19 if they can just get back to making that deal with him in their local church.

2 Likes

I’m amused by the idea of people suddenly being forced to experience living in their home all day, and discovering it makes weird noises. The idea that social isolation is causing people to experience more “ghosts” lines up with other things I’ve read. I’ve noticed that people involved in investigating “hauntings” noted that reported ghost sightings at famously haunted locations precipitously declined just as cell phones became ubiquitous. I had always attributed it to people feeling less alone and more connected - and therefore less likely to be afraid - when they had cell phones on them. (Also, I suspect having a phone camera - and failing to capture anything in photographs - probably discourage people from reporting and/or taking their own experiences seriously. “I saw a ghost” seems pretty silly as a claim if you can take a picture and there’s nothing in it.)

1 Like

At this age, I don’t need ghosts; I’ve already got various audio hallucinations. I often don’t answer a knock on the door because I’ve learned there’s almost certainly no one there.

2 Likes

Popular science/ investigative journalist Mary Roach (see Stiff; Packing for Mars, et al) did a book on ghosts, titled Spook. Nope. No ghosts. But a lot of people trying to fake ghosts, or believing in them based on less than dubious ‘evidence’.

2 Likes

Don’t be the last to know…

Could be a raven.

2 Likes

Her books are hilarious on top of informative. Strong recommend.

4 Likes

That’s one of the things that stands out about her (along with her dogged thoroughness); she has a gift for layering very penetrating sly humor over information while not short-circuiting her narrative.

2 Likes

Sometimes with literal penetration, like the time when she was doing research for Bonk and convinced her husband to join her in volunteering for a medical study that involved taking ultrasound imagery of the couple in coitus.

3 Likes

No dilettante, she. Any grist. Any mill.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.