Quibi reportedly tanking within days of launch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/quibi-reportedly-tanking-withi.html

5 Likes

I’m not sure Whitman is a very good executive. Also, I heard Quibi described as “the Netflix of Mobile.” But I thought Netflix was already the Netflix of Mobile, so…

20 Likes

I never thought a redundant product that no one was asking for would be so unsuccessful. Huh.

29 Likes

Now what about long format Quibi for larger screens…? :thinking:

5 Likes

The first I’d heard about this service was when I saw a commercial saying that Reno 911 was getting a new season and it was through Quibi. It would have been the only thing I can think of that would have gotten me to give it a shot. Now, meh. Hopefully it comes to DVD or some other service.

3 Likes

I actually liked a couple of the shows. And I was un-ironically impressed that they edited two versions of every show for portrait and landscape - it felt seamless. I will say it’s been a couple weeks since I watched anything - maybe everybody else stopped too.

1 Like

I figured I just couldn’t understand the appeal because I’m “an old.” I guess not.

3 Likes

Gee… I wonder if there are too many streaming services out there and maybe services should attempt to share content with each other instead of hoarding content like a dragon?

23 Likes

That’s it – it needs to sense the size of the screen and adjust itself automatically – so a show on a smart watch may be 30 seconds. five minutes on a phone, a half hour on a computer screen, an hour on a small TV, two hours on a large TV, six hours on a normal movie screen, and all day on IMAX.

7 Likes

But where else will I be able to watch short entertaining films. Other than Youtube. And Vimeo… and Facebook… or Tiktok (even)…

7 Likes

Dailymotion, imgur, instagram

9 Likes

It sounds like an app that fills a definite need that I don’t have.

4 Likes

One of the late night shows just used it as a punchline. He said “Oh yeah, he’s gone completely into hiding. He has a series on Quibi”.

10 Likes

I’m just now finding out what it actually is. Which suggests that it is taking a page from the Google marketing book (you learn about some new product when they’re announcing it’s getting cancelled).

11 Likes

New Quibi Supreme – a full-size wide-screen HDTV monitor, wrapped in artisinal hand-butchered feral-hog bacon and drizzled with 91% cacao syrup, sprinkled with 24 karat gold dust from non-conflict gold mines operated by certified cooperatives.

5 Likes

Outside her business career she’s been a Republican activist and former gubernatorial candidate who campaigned for Romney but drew the line at supporting Trump, who she likened to Hitler and Mussolini. So at least we know there are SOME limits to how bad an idea can be before she bails on it.

16 Likes

7 Likes

More like a dragon who has hoarded hoards of other dragons with hoards. I tried to watch Rio Bravo on Prime, only to be told I needed to subscribe to another service available through Prime (Starz? Or Cinemax or something? I forget). I just wanted to watch a 70 year old John Wayne movie that used to be available for outright streaming on Netflix, but no, Amazon wants to send me down a rabbit hole of subscriptions, at the bottom of which lives the ghost of Blockbuster.

13 Likes

From one of the linked articles:

What better recipe for a well-funded Silicon Valley media start-up to crash in a delicious burning heap of Schadenfreude than for it to be designed for a world that disappears at the exact moment it finally comes to fruition? Haha, how hilarious. Suck it, Quibi investors!

Now THAT would be a Quibi series i would definitely watch.

7 Likes

Well, I guess that’s it for the Code 8 sequel. Not that I was looking forward to the format; I absolutely was not.

2 Likes