Quick how-to on making great scrambled eggs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/16/quick-how-to-on-making-great-s.html

5 Likes
6 Likes

There is satisfaction and pride in doing even simple things superbly.

13 Likes

I have always disliked scrambled eggs. An egg scrambled is an egg wasted, IMO.

However my wife and daughter love them and often request them for breakfast, so it’s good to know how to make them well.

1 Like

I’m kind of a fan of the large rubbery lumps style of scrambled eggs myself.

11 Likes

Hey! Some of us prefer the taste of our eggs when they are burned.

Which is exactly how I order them when out - burned.

3 Likes

don’t add anything like milk, water, or cream. Don’t over whisk. Salt and pepper once you drop them in the pan. and stir constantly like he says.

I also prefer to use a drizzle of olive oil in addition to the butter.

3 Likes

feinkuchen FTW

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/PESACH-breakfast/Eggs_Frieda8217s_Fancy_Feinkuchen_-_pareve.html

1 Like

Consider this enhancement to this how-to. I love cheesy eggs. And I love fluffy eggs. Follow this guy’s recipe except set your temp between medium and medium-high. Add a dash of half and half to the eggs when mixing. I actually use regular coffee creamer sometimes. Cook and stir constantly. When the eggs are close to done mix in a dollop of pimento cheese spread. Yes, pimento cheese. You get the red pepper, cheese, and a creamy base. cook just until the spread has mixed well with the eggs but don’t over cook because the cheddar will get greasy. Serve inside white corn torillas and top with green taco sauce. It’s amazing. I eat this at least twice a week.

8 Likes
9 Likes

If the Good Lord had meant us to eat eggs scrambled, he would have …

I prefer a lower temp and a slower stir, sort of a long scraping lifting motion to give bigger softer curds. But constant attention and no more than 6 eggs at a time are the real secrets. I admit, I also finish with a little extra butter at the end.

5 Likes

Hmmm my favorite method is just to crack the eggs into the pan with a large chunk of butter and then stir slowly.Sounds brutal but with a gentle stir and low heat I get nice fluffy curds.

9 Likes

I’m with you there. I don’t comment much on the internet, but I’ll chime in when it comes to eggs.

Give me an egg cooked on screaming high heat with a healthy amount of oil, flipped at just the right instant. Turn off the heat and let it cook on the cooling skillet until the yolk is just turning into a custard. That’s my perfect egg. The rubbery whites are a feature.

Done correctly, you have three textures: the firm and crisp white, the crispy wisps of caramelized protein at the edges and a custardy yolk. Its tricky to get right, and I’ve never had a proper “over medium” at diner.

I’ve always thought that scrambled eggs are kind of a bland homogeneous way of preparing eggs, although the Julia Childs omelet method looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoLavF2ZLU

1 Like

my choice is to just cook the yoke and leave the white quite runny
james martin did a professional cook record which had to been served in a better time than say 20 seconds… :slight_smile:

I feel like this summarizes a lot of what I adore about Japanese culture, as an aside.

1 Like

I learned this trick a few years back – it’s all about keeping the eggs moving in the pan from the moment you put them in. Very light and airy, and I like to grate some cheese in while doing this at a few points for cheesy scrambled eggs! Mmmmm OK I’m going to go down stairs RIGHT NOW and make some for lunch! :smiley:

4 Likes

My step-grandpa used to ask us kids how we wanted our eggs; fried, scrambled, etc.

It didn’t matter how you wanted it. You got poached. Every. Single. Time.

10 Likes

Here’s my preferred way to scramble a hell of a good egg.

Room temp eggs.
Beat with room temp unsalted butter. About half tbs per large egg.
Butter in med heat cast iron pan. Let the butter simmer till the water content is almost gone. Just before it browns.
Eggs in.
Heat off.
Work eggs constantly with a fork. Stirring more or less to get desired curd size.
Hit it with salt and pepper while stirring.
Plate just as you hit desired finish.

Conversely, when making a “scramble” it is best to cook the eggs quite slowly so that they will hold the ingredients.

Plus, actually, I don’t continual move the eggs because it is nice for them to have a little air in them. It’s not all or nothing.

1 Like