Quick how-to on making great scrambled eggs

I like low heat and constant scraping of the pan with a silicone spatula, so that the scrambled eggs kinda go from thin, to thick, to done all kind of at once. As soon as the eggs don’t redistribute themselves flat when you shake the pan, then they’re done. The egg itself should form a sauce for the curds.

A double boiler would be better but is annoying for daily use.

2 Likes

I love the deceptive simplicity of Jacques Pepin’s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EzjcpCIaiw

It’s scrambled eggs not a custard.
Give’em higher heat, leave them alone a bit and fold the cooked bits over and you want ‘curds’ and bit of white showing…and just a hint a wisp of slightly cooked eggs.

What the hell did I just watch?
I mean, that was, uhh, informati… erm, …
NVM, nothing matters anyway.

3 Likes

I like to separate the whites and beat them to a froth first (with a bit of water or half and half, depending on your mood). Then beat in the yolks. Medium heat pan and clarified butter or ghee. Remove from heat before the eggs are fully cooked. They will continue to cook anyways. Timing seems to be the key with eggs.

1 Like

I think the key here is to be willing to experiment in the kitchen.

Pretty much everyone has a slightly different definition of “perfect” when it comes to eggs, and finding your own ideal is all part of the process towards deliciousness.

5 Likes

I had scrambled eggs for bfast just now. What is this ‘no milk or cream’ madness!?

5 Likes

Right?!?

This video is bad and wrong. Low heat and low touch is the correct way to scramble eggs.

THIS GUY (https://vimeo.com/170218369) which happens to be ME, has a MUCH BETTER way to cook scrambled eggs.

NON-STICK pan? Yipes!
Stainless steel is the way to go.

1 Like

No matter what a thread on BB is about – no matter how simple, mundane, or wonderful it might be – I can always count on someone in the first few replies whining about how much they hate it.

7 Likes

nungesser:
I hate your reply.

:- )

6 Likes

this is a good video about making restaurant-style scrambled eggs. this means that a) only use it at home in a pinch or if you genuinely don’t know how to make them in general; and b) I’m not giving up my secrets, which diverge from this technique in glorious ways.

1 Like

aka “threadshitting”

1 Like

Part right.
Isn’t that the point?

If you really want to take something formerly enjoyable to chew and eat and turn it into a prison punishment “blender meal,” why not just use a blender?

That’s how I do it. Some people like to separate the whites and yolks in separate bowls first and then use whisks on them and all, but they’re all going into the pan where they’re gonna get stirred by the spatula anyway. I guess those people just enjoy doing more dishes.

1 Like

It used to be fun making scrambled eggs in the old microwave. After beating the eggs like crazy, I put the bowl in the microwave, then watched through the door as the eggs puffed up and seemed to rise up the sides of the bowl… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now I just use a small cast iron frying pan on the stovetop. But it’s not as much fun.

1 Like

Low heat, high touch for me. This guy’s pan was too hot. I like my eggs wet.

1 Like

Dude, you made an omelette.

1 Like

I was out on this method with “high heat”. The best preparation method for scrambled eggs, that’s what I call the Beastie Boys method - “slow (stir) and low (heat) that is the tempo”. Perfectly cooked scrambled eggs have a velvety texture, and take time to do right…

1 Like