Perfect breakfast burrito in 8 simple steps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/03/perfect-breakfast-burrito-in-8.html

4 Likes

That thing looks like a “leaker”.
I prefer a burrito I can pick up and eat. Also, beans!!!

8 Likes

It’s an alternate way to make a breakfast burrito but i wouldn’t consider it better than other methods. I like sunny side up eggs so my method of preparation i’ve been making this week is to sautee my veggies, add spices and condiments later and mix it all up, then make holes for 2-4 eggs and crack them in said holes. Then cover and cook on low, remove from heat when still kinda soft but almost done, the leftover heat will carry it over to being a bit more done but less runny. Then i cut a piece out put it on a tortilla and top with hot sauce.

I’ve made this a couple of times in the last week or so :smiley: it’s very low effort and delicious. It’s kind of like an omelette but with runny eggs.

5 Likes

I don’t understand step one. What gets added after butter to make the outermost wrapper. Is that a tortilla? (It has a little hanging loop that makes it look like it was added as batter, like a pancake. Or is that just a little of the butter from step zero?)

Is my step numbering off by one?

So confused! Wordless explanations are great until they aren’t.

1 Like

Team Bean 100%. Can you even call it a breakfast burrito without beans?!

I don’t like eggs, so my breakfast burritos lean heavily on the cheese/beans/random veg I have on hand. The only thing “breakfast” about them is the time of day.

8 Likes

Looks like eggs that were cracked, beaten, and poured into the buttered pan.

4 Likes

I think that’s the main innovation being touted here: drop the tortilla onto the still cooking eggs so they stick to it in an even layer.

8 Likes

Salivation intensifies

1 Like

Absolutely. The real requirement (besides egg) for a breakfast burrito is breakfast potatoes. Maybe some sausage, bacon, or ham.

7 Likes

As near as I can tell my adult daughter has switched to the all burritos all the time diet during the lock down. She has lung issues, lives alone, and our middle kid lives with us and works at a grocery store, so we’ve been buying her food and dropping it off in her lobby (in the airlock, which she doesn’t enter till we leave!) So far we’ve brought over 5-6 bags of tortillas, grated cheese every trip, eggs, and some fruit. It’s just as well, there’s no rice or pasta to be had at our store. Plenty of tortillas though.

5 Likes

I’ve been living on breakfast burritos the last week. Will give this variation a try tomorrow.

Note to self: order more eggs and tortillas.

1 Like

Now do eggrolls. And make your own wrapper. She wastes a bit of the wrapper making them square. Save tho and fry them for crisps in soups. Also…an egg drop soup is something super easy to make with basic pantry items.

5 Likes

Here in Austin people are pretty fanatical about two things, BBQ and breakfast tacos/burritos. As far as breakfast tacos there’s a definite variety but mainstays are a combination of stuff that may or may not have egg, potatoes, cheese, beans, bacon. My favorite is migas tacos but any breakfast taco is a good one as far as i’m concerned, all i require however is some decent hot sauce.

8 Likes

Looks yummy!

Now if only I’d thought to buy a bunch of tortillas.

No worries, I’ll just nip down the grocery store and…

…dang.

1 Like

I’m going to go further and say you can’t call it a burrito without beans. If it doesn’t have beans it’s just a wrap.

3 Likes

Goes with out saying! Chorizo, queso fresco (or feta in a pinch), black beans, Cholula!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Step 1, cook bacon.

Then pick up recipe from the point of bacon fat in the pan.

Doesn’t need a step (is implied), but add the bacon before folding.

4 Likes

I’ll make an egg popover, which by my recipe is really scrambled eggs baked in a muffin cup. I like to add everything, especially the savory items like bacon, to the eggs and let them rest before assembling and baking. It gives the whole thing a more bacontastic flavor.

I think I would try this recipe but add in some of my toppings to the wet eggs before adding the tortilla shell on top. Wet ingredients like salsa, beans, or sour cream would get spooned in the middle before folding.

2 Likes

Then pick up recipe from the point of bacon fat in the pan.

You’ve hit on a historical open question in my life. Canadians have peameal bacon, which just has a little fat on the edge, and bacon bacon, which is what’s left. Why? Most Canadians just crisp up the bacon bacon, which works poorly here because it’s mostly fat.

Indeed, I’ve never understood the point of bacon bacon unless you fry bread in the bacon fat to go under it and cook your eggs in what remains.

Otherwise you’re just wasting so much bacony goodness :thinking:.

I tried the breakfast burrito this morning… results were so so… will attempt again tomorrow if the tortilla supply holds out.

1 Like