Quiz: Was this painting made by a human artist or ape?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/31/quiz-was-this-painting-made-b.html

3 Likes

The painting on the left is “Parabel” (1958) by Ernst Nay. The painting on the right is by an ape in the Congo.

13 Likes

Technically, both are by a species of ape.

33 Likes

Humans are apes :wink:

14 Likes

I got 100%

Apes have no sense of composition.

21 Likes

My year as an art student paid off. 100% on an internet quiz.

22 Likes

And all are from the Congo.

6 Likes

Here’s one by my daughter when she was 3. I scanned it and have a large print framed on the wall. I call it my de Kooning.

29 Likes

Too organized. Not manic enough.
:grinning:

9 Likes

Dang, misidentified the first one. The way the blue, black, and white seem to radiate from the center suggested an aesthetic decision, and the brush strokes seem more uniform than the other two ape paintings.

8 Likes

Did they get the ape’s permission to reproduce its work?

13 Likes

No, the ape was work for hire.

7 Likes

They lost that court battle sadly.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/07/462245189/federal-judge-says-monkey-cant-own-copyright-to-his-selfie

10 Likes

Also I believe the common expression is “so easy a monkey could do it” so I’m going to need some examples from monkeys before I decide to take up art.

4 Likes

Maybe that was an aesthetic decision.

I only got a 67%.

3 Likes

Ha ha! I get it! Modern art is bad!

6 Likes

I like me some arts.

Saw lots of these stories before, usually reprinted from American newspapers in the sixties, on slow news days when it wasn’t hot enough to send a reporter out to fry an egg on the sidewalk. Generally they centred around local juried arts shows, and someone had to try and troll abstract expressionism, the big ism of the day.

My favourite jurist remark: “That’s the best painting from a monkey I’ve ever seen.”

5 Likes

Don’t call them Monkeys

1 Like

I got 83%. I was just guessing. Abstract expressionism doesn’t interest me.
The blue one looked like a flower arrangement. Maybe the ape liked flowers.

Also, when did humans stop being hominids (great apes)? Why am I always the last to know these things?!

4 Likes