Quiz: Was this painting made by a human artist or ape?

Yeah, but monkeys are pretty sweet.

5 Likes

I got 83% (5 out of 6) but I maintain the ape who painted number 2 is an artist.

10 Likes

5/6. The fifth one threw me off because of the black background; obviously an ape wouldn’t gesso its canvas, so I’d count that one as half apework.

6 Likes

I got an easy 6/6 because it was obvious to me which ones were modern art and which ones came from an ape.

Even in the most non-objective of all modern art, there’s a humanlike thought process behind it, assuming a human is responsible. There is also some semblance of technique and composition, even if it’s self-taught. The ape works came from a totally different perspective altogether.

Also, 24 comments in and still waiting for a legitimate “hurr durr modern art isn’t really art”.

10 Likes

Last week there was a big meeting and everything. Nobody send you the memo? Sorry about that.

3 Likes

I got 100%. I looked at the ones that looked like they had a lot where someone had taken a brush and moved his/her arm back and forth on the canvas because I figured that would be something an amateur would do and not a professional artist

4 Likes

That’s the “article” itself really.

Can’t be a tech site without some wank about how art isn’t valuable to society at least once a month or so.

3 Likes

Dude, they’re about a century behind in complaining by now. Shoulda boycotted the Armory Show, ya noobs!

6 Likes

This same test tripped up Christopher Lee.

Thanks for that. First chance I get I’ll try one.

6 Likes

My favorite Jackson Pollock story:

http://commenting-the-commentaries.blogspot.com/2006/10/stan-brakhage-encounters-jackson.html

5 Likes

Understandable. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

1 Like

My years as a mathematics student paid off. I got 83% because I thought one was borderline constructable.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant.

Well, I only got 50% and that doesn’t count because I recognised one of them. So only 40%. Worse than chance.

However, I was also one of the people who reacted to the incineration of the Britart warehouse with amusement rather than concern, so I’m clearly not cut out for art.

2 Likes

Which of the paintings above is by a respected abstract painter who is human and which was painted by a non-human ape in the Congo?

Wouldn’t “respected” be a weasel-word in this context? It seems meaningless without knowing “respected by whom?”

2 Likes

By their peers of course! This stuff is always about logrolling.

1 Like

I didn’t go to art college and got 100%.

2 Likes

I like the Russian chicken riding the dinosaur wrench.

3 Likes

Correlation =/= causation

1 Like

I always thought it was a wild boar with white dumbo ears.