Quotes on religion and the mythical Christian solar god Jesus's association with the Sun

Nope, and I don’t honestly feel the need to in order to discuss this particular point.

My claim (as stated previously) is that the information we have from the past is exceedingly limited and has very little to do with what your average farmer actually did. To assume otherwise is to assume that people in ancient Egypt behaved in a manner in which no human culture ever has before or sense. This is sociology we’re talking about now.

Do all Catholics follow the pope precisely? No. And right now we have an actual bible. Back then it was all word of mouth with a limited number of written texts that were generally restricted to the wealthy and a small subset of the population.

You stated:[quote=“khepra, post:210, topic:71023”]
The people of ancient Kemet did not worship animals, the animals were symbolic, allegorical and metaphorical. The animals represented the attributes and characteristics of the numerous mythical gods and goddesses they worshipped and revered.
[/quote]
Which is implying that you know what everybody was doing in a nation that was had all kinds of tribes and small groups that only had limited interactions with each other.

I’m saying that it’s exceedingly unlikely that everybody in that geographic region believed in all the same things. Are you really implying otherwise?

6 Likes

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

I refute it thus:

That’s me, second from the left, in 2001.

12 Likes

Your left or mine?

11 Likes

I can’t find a gif of Saint Nicholas snorting blow in the fourth century to refute this.

10 Likes

Working long hours, wish I could spend more time posting. I had hoped to have posted this earlier.

The myth of the African-Kemetic solar creator god Khepri is derived from manuscripts, pyramid texts, coffin texts, funerary papyri and the Book of Coming Forth from Darkness into Light or Book of Coming Forth by Day (Book of the Dead).

The people in ancient Africa-Kemet (Egypt) used education to understand religion. Education which includes science can help us all understand religion. For the sake of understanding, there should never be a separation of science/education from religion.

The scarab was as a spiritual symbol in Africa-Kemet, much like the cross is a spiritual symbol of Christianity. The scarab amulet was one of the most revered and worn pieces of jewelry in Africa-Kemet. The scarab in Africa-Kemet was associated with the mythical creator god Khepri, (Khepera, Kheper or Khepra).

The mythical solar creator god Khepri was depicted in art as man with the head of a scarab and associated with death, regeneration, metamorphosis, birth, rebirth, and resurrection.

Education and knowledge of the behavioral and mating habits of the scarab helps with understanding why the scarab was used as a religious symbol. The scarab (or dung beetle) trails animals around, waiting for them to eventually defecate. Many of Africa’s large animals are vegetarians like the elephant, rhinoceros, giraffe, cow etc— and the scarab prefers the dung of vegetarian animals.

1. Dung beetles eat poop.

Dung beetles are coprophagous insects, meaning they eat excrement of other organisms. Although not all dung beetles eat poop exclusively, they all eat feces at some point in their life. Most prefer to feed on herbivore droppings, which are largely undigested plant matter, rather than carnivore waste, which holds very little nutritional value for insects.

Recent research at the University of Nebraska suggests dung beetles may be most attracted to omnivore excrement, since it provides both nutritional value and the right amount of odor to make it easy to find.

The scarab or dung beetle collects the dung and depending on the scarab will roll it up into a round ball. They can roll up to fifty times their weight and pull over one thousand times their weight; equivalent to a human pulling a ton around.

The scarab rolls the dung to a secure place and buries it for food, or places eggs inside it after copulating with its partner. The eggs go through a metamorphosis, turn to larvae, the larvae feed on the dung, and newborn scarab beetles rise up out of the decaying dung. The people in Africa-Kemet were not worshiping a dung beetle; the scarab beetle atop the head of the mythical solar creator god Khepri, symbolized him as a solar creator god—and symbolized the creation of humans on earth.

Humans came from the earth, and when we die we go back into the earth if and when we are buried. Life on earth went through millions of years human development or metamorphosis for us to get to the stage of human development seen on earth today. The decaying dung represented death; the eggs and larvae inside the dung represented metamorphosis and regeneration; the newborn scarab beetles coming out of the dung represented birth and rebirth.

In myth the solar creator god Khepri, he was a sun god who also symbolized resurrection. In the myth of Khepri, he is symbolized as a scarab rolling the sun around in the sky.

He would roll the sun into the Underworld, below the western horizon iwhere the sun sets and finally to the eastern horizon, where the sun rises every morning. The mythical story symbolizes death and an everlasting life through resurrection.

Someone in Africa-Kemet had acquired the knowledge of the behavior and mating habits of scarabs in order to use the scarab in a creation myth. This is something that required hours of observation and study. This same African-Kemetic metaphoric and allegorical use of animals is also exhibited in the use of the falcon, hawk, jackal, hippopotamus, cobra, crocodile etc.

I will explain the metaphoric and allegorical use of the falcon, hawk, jackal, hippopotamus, cobra, crocodile and other animals (as well as the many African-Kemetic mythical gods and religious concepts that are much older and very similar to the much younger myths found in Judaism and Christianity) in other forum posts, as it would require much more space than one forum topic reply or post would allow.

The religion of Africa-Kemet was complex, sophisticated and used education to understand what myth was being conveyed. The religion of Africa-Kemet should not be reduced to thinking that when you see the use of animals, they are simply worshipping that animal. The same thing applies to the African-Kemetic use of symbols like the hexagram or Star of Creation (which is widely referred to as the Star of David), the Crook and Flail (Shepard’s tools) and practices as well as artistic depictions like Baptism and Judgment Day myths (depicted in several African-Kemetic judgment scenes like the “Judgment Scene of Ani”) respectively.

2 Likes

please please don’t take this as a criticism–this is the kind of conversation I like. i think this topic has been a little confrontational, when it doesn’t have to be. all of the mutants here, yourself included, have different realms of education and study.

and this is good. i would love to hear what you have to say about the allegorical use of animals in religion, since it has been part of countless traditions for millenia.

one piece of advice, that i will relate as a fable.

one day, a japhroaig told a great number of fish puns, which to him were enlightening and humorous. however others got annoyed, and said, “dude, come on, dude”. so this japhroaig made fewer, but higher quality fish puns, and won over the skeptics. (no really, this did actually happen :D). they had really… haddock… with me.

cheers!

14 Likes

As opposed to Europe-Kemet or, my favorite, Polynesia-Kemet?

1 Like

African Kermit?

7 Likes

Using education/science to understand the symbolic use of the hexagram as a African-Kemetic (Egyptian) religious symbol.

Religion would be better served if it did not separate itself from science—the “Big Bang Theory” may be one way of understanding how some creator god or gods created the earth we live on—and the universe we live in.

The hexagram is not exclusive to Judaism and the Jewish people (who view it as the Star of David), it is however most widely associated with Judaism and the Jewish people.

The hexagram is used in the religions of Hinduism and Buddhism. You find it above the eagles head on the back of the U.S. dollar bill; you find the hexagram as the smaller stars inside the five pointed star of the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom. You can find the hexagram on Islamic artifacts. Some sheriff’s badges in the United States have a hexagram as its star. The hexagram is part of the Theosophical Society founded in 1875. The Rastafarians of Jamaica are associated with the hexagram. Some Christian churches view the hexagram as a Creator’s Star.

The hexagram is part of the mdw-ntr (hieroglyphics) of Africa-Kemet (Egypt). The hexagram is referred to as “The Star of Creation”. It is two interlacing triangles/pyramids that symbolize the synthesis of heaven and earth. It also symbolizes descent and ascent of spirit and matter—or as above so as below.

The triangle or pyramid pointing down represents descent i.e., when we are born, we come from a never-ending spiritual form to earth and are manifested in a mortal physical form. The triangle pointing up represents ascent; when we pass away, our spirit leaves our fleeting and short lived physical bodies and returns back to heaven in the form of a never-ending or eternal spiritual form.

Some of the atoms that make up our bodies are as old as the “Big Bang”—billions of years old. Hydrogen is the oldest at around 13.7 to 14 billion years old. Other atoms that make up our bodies are around 4 billion years old. The atoms of a baby, child, and young adult or elderly person are the same, 4 to 14 billion years old.

The sun is the star at the center of our universe and comets, asteroids, meteoroids, planets and moons revolve around our star (sun). The atoms that make our bodies are composed of atoms with a nucleus—with three different types of particles: protons and neutrons in the center of the nucleus and electrons that revolve around the nucleus and outer edge of the atom.

Different types of gravitational pull affect celestial bodies, while negative electrons as they revolve around a nucleus are drawn to positive protons in the nucleus.

pre•ces•sion
Noun

1. The slow movement of the axis of a spinning body around another axis due to a torque (such as gravitational influence) acting to change the direction of the first axis. It is seen in the circle slowly traced out by the pole of a spinning gyroscope

The Earth experiences precession and planets like Mercury experience precession. Atoms experience precession due to magnetic fields, atoms that are close to each other, atoms that form chemical bonds, varying type of isotope, etc.

Human cells come in different sizes, shapes, and types. Similarly planets, asteroids, meteors, comets and stars come in different sizes, shapes and types—all made up of atoms.

When you look up into the sky at night at the billions of stars, “maybe someone else’s sun”, you are looking at where you came from, when you look up in the daytime at our star we call our sun, you are looking at what allows us to have life on this earth.

When we die and our cremated ashes are spread out into the sea or ocean—or we are buried in the ground, our atoms will return back into the earth and eventually back into the sky were we came from.

We come from a spiritual form to a physical form—and return from a physical form back to a spiritual form.

1 Like

As a Buddhist, I just believe in the world as we experience it, not in some immaterial “spiritual” world or some dualism that reifies the universe into two things, one of which cannot be detected.

I think you’re going to have a hard time in this era convincing people to believe in a spiritual world that cannot be seen or measured, not matter what someone’s ancestors believed.

We don’t pass into a spiritual form on death. We just die.

7 Likes

Yes. As much as I want a do over… Yes.

8 Likes

Except if we’re mummified after death. Also, the atoms that make up our physical form are constantly being replaced with others from the world around us. So we don’t even have to die to feel connected to the universe! Personally, I want to be part of lots of other people when I die (hmm… maybe there’s a less creepy way of saying “I want to donate my organs” :wink:).

It’s a beautiful concept though, and an example of a way that spiritual meaning can be separate from deity-based belief or dogmatism.

8 Likes

Here are some other animals that were used to represent the attributes and characteristics of the mythical African-Kemetic/Anu (Egyptian/Ethiopian) gods.

When you see these animals; they are not worshiping animals literally. The animals are symbolic, allegorical and metaphorical–and represent the attributes and characteristics of the specific mythical African-Kemetic/Anu god or goddess.

The cobra looks like any other snake on the ground, but when it is disturbed or feels threatened, it can rise up on the forward portion of its body to protect itself, and flatten its neck, which looks like a hood.

The hawk and falcon are birds of prey; they hunt various types of prey on the ground from above, including other birds that they can catch in the air. The cobra can be found on the crowns of many of the African-Kemetic pharaohs like Tutankhamen (King Tut).–Cobra on crown of Pharaoh Tutankhamen (King Tut).

The head of the falcon or hawk (both birds look very similar) in African-Kemetic art is depicted atop the body of the mythical god Heru (Horus). Heru saved the earth and avenged the death of his father Osiris, by killing or defeating his uncle Set (Seth or Setan). Set (Seth or Setan) in myth was the evil brother who murdered his brother Osiris.–Falcon or hawk headed god Heru (Horus) from “The Judgment Scene of Ani”

The cobra, hawk or falcon represent ascension or rising up into heaven, royal power and protection.

The African-Kemetic god Anubis is depicted as a black-headed jackal with the body of a man. He is associated with mummification, burial and assisting the dead on their way through the Underworld (where departed souls go on their way to be devoured or everlasting life with Osiris).

The jackal is an opportunistic animal that will eat both animals they have killed and vegetation; they will also eat carrion.

They will pick over the remains left by large predators like lions; and will bury as much of the good meat as they can, if they see other predators like hyenas coming.

Anubis is represented by a jackal because it symbolizes working with dead, decaying bodies while in the process of mummification, burial, and differentiating between good and bad at “The Scale Truth or Justice” in “The Judgment Scene of Ani”, which is housed in the British Museum. Anubis’s head is black because black symbolizes death and darkness.–Anubis knelling at “The Scale of Truth or Justice” weighing the deeds of the deceased soul.

On the right of “The Scale of Truth or Justice” in “The Judgment Scene of Ani” stands the god Tehuti (Thoth), who is depicted in African-Kemetic/Anu art as a man with the head of an ibis bird. The beak of the ibis looks like and was associated with a writing pen. Tehuti (Thoth) in myth was considered to be a god of wisdom and knowledge and the heart, mind, and tongue of the creator. He is also in myth a writer, so we find him in “The Judgment Scene of Ani” recording the result.–Tehuti (Thoth) recording the results of the weighing of the deeds of the deceased in one of many African-Kemetic judgement scenes–like “The Judgment Scene of Hunefer” and “The Judgment Scene of Ani.”

Also in the Judgement Scenes of Hunefer and Ani sits the “Devourer of the Unjustified.” This animal is depicted as having the head of a crocodile and the body of a hippopotamus. The use of the crocodile and hippopotamus as the "Devourer of the Unjustified’ in the myth of the Underworld is because the hippopotamus is the dominant animal in the rivers of Africa, and the crocodile is the second most dominant.

The predator crocodile is to be feared, but actually, the vegetarian hippopotamus kills more people each year because of defending its territory, defending newborns or feeling threatened.

A hippopotamus has large and long teeth that can slice a crocodile in half, and any human who is attacked by a hippo usually dies or is seriously mangled. The “Devourer of the Unjustified” has the head of the crocodile, because it devours the soul if it is found to be unjustified, and the body of the hippopotamus, because it rules the Underworld, where unjustified souls are sent.–The “Devourer of the Unjustified” in the Judgment Scene of Ani.

2 Likes

I am not commenting on anything other than hippos/risk of megafuana, and danger of them :slightly_smiling:

Hippos and cows are cold blooded murderers.

1 Like

Yeah, but, “Have you ever had… an Egyptian Feast?”

3 Likes

You posted:

“Hippos/risk of “megafuana”, and danger of them.”
‘Hippos and cows are cold blooded murderers.’

You know hippos and cows cannot smoke “marijuana”, :confused: that’s why there is a inherent danger of them becoming cold blooded murders. :rage:

Why hippos and cows cannot smoke pot–what 'marijuana" does to their brain that makes them cold blooded murderers.–Don’t let hippos and cows smoke marijuana, please! :scream:

“Weed gets you high because it is a natural element that contains THC. The THC becomes active by burning it and the reaction emits a chemical that your brain counteracts with your body’s own natural cures. From these “cures” you get the “High” sensation.”

1 Like

Hippos are seriously dangerous - look at those snaggly murder teeth!

4 Likes

9 Likes

5 Likes