Quotes on religion and the mythical Christian solar god Jesus's association with the Sun

This topic has brought that feeling up so many times.

6 Likes

St Peters Square has a chaos star? That Michael Moorcock got about a fair bit! But hang on a second…

It looks much more like a Dharma Wheel, since the Catholics are clearly actually closet Buddhists.

St Peters Square even has that little secondary wheel in the middle. I think that represents the Galactic Empire from Star Wars.

8 Likes

Like the quote by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Here are some quotes from two other well known scientists, who have since ceased to exist.

“The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.”—Albert Einstein

“Because we are as yet unable to understand it, we call it immortal. It is the ignorant, lazy man’s refuge. There are plenty of savages, you know, who still call fire immortal.”—Thomas Edison

“A man’s ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.” –Albert Einstein, Religion and Science, New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

“I never have denied Supreme Intelligence. What I have denied and what my reason compels me to deny, is the existence of a Being throned above us as a god, directing our mundane affairs in detail, regarding us as individuals, punishing us, rewarding us as human judges might.”—Thomas Edison

“Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.”—Albert Einstein

“Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.”—Albert Einstein

“I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own – a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbour such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.”—Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955)

“I cannot accept as final any theory which is not provable. The theories of the theologians cannot be proved. Proof, proof! That is what I always have been after; that is what my mind requires before it can accept a theory as fact.”—Thomas Edison

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”—Albert Einstein, 1954: From Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

“I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God. So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake… Religion is all bunk.”—Thomas Edison

“The endeavor to change universal power by selfish supplication I do not believe in.”—Thomas Edison

1 Like

“Man is a religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the true religion - several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven.”–Mark Twain

Religions are mythical but the scriptures can contain extreme violence.

Extreme violent scriptures from the religious books of Judaism and Christianity~

I Hosea 13:16

16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

I Kings 20:28-30

28 And there came a man of God, and spake unto the king of Israel, and said, Thus saith the LORD, Because the Syrians have said, The LORD is God of the hills, but he is not God of the valleys, therefore will I deliver all this great multitude into thine hand, and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

29 And they pitched one over against the other seven days. And so it was, that in the seventh day the battle was joined: and the children of Israel slew of the Syrians an hundred thousand footmen in one day.

30 But the rest fled to Aphek, into the city; and there a wall fell upon twenty and seven thousand of the men that were left. And Benhadad fled, and came into the city, into an inner chamber.

II Chronicle 25:12

12 And other ten thousand left alive did the children of Judah carry away captive, and brought them unto the top of the rock, and cast them down from the top of the rock, that they all were broken in pieces.

Judges 12:5-6

5 And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay;

6 Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.

Exodus 32:27-28

27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

28 And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.

II Kings 2:23-24

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Joshua 8:24-26

24 And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword.

25 And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.

26 For Joshua drew not his hand back, wherewith he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.

Deuteronomy 3:3-6

3 So the LORD our God delivered into our hands Og also, the king of Bashan, and all his people: and we smote him until none was left to him remaining.

4 And we took all his cities at that time, there was not a city which we took not from them, threescore cities, all the region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Bashan.

5 All these cities were fenced with high walls, gates, and bars; beside unwalled towns a great many.

6 And we utterly destroyed them, as we did unto Sihon king of Heshbon, utterly destroying the men, women, and children, of every city.

I Samuel 15:3-8

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

4 And Saul gathered the people together, and numbered them in Telaim, two hundred thousand footmen, and ten thousand men of Judah.

5 And Saul came to a city of Amalek, and laid wait in the valley.

6 And Saul said unto the Kenites, Go, depart, get you down from among the Amalekites, lest I destroy you with them: for ye shewed kindness to all the children of Israel, when they came up out of Egypt. So the Kenites departed from among the Amalekites.

7 And Saul smote the Amalekites from Havilah until thou comest to Shur, that is over against Egypt.

8 And he took Agag the king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword

1 Like

May I ask this: what is the point of all this bible quoting, anyway?

10 Likes

http://www.xradiograph.com/wrottings/texts.01/egyptian-fax-chamber.htm

5 Likes

This is my preferred selection of Bible passages:

7 Likes

“And Slew Him”

Contradiction and Confusion.

One story found in the religious books of Judaism and Christianity is the myth of “David and Goliath.”

How did David actually slay Goliath?
Was it with a sling and stone?
Was it with a sword?
Was it with a sling and stone–and a sword?

My Sunday school teachers never could adequately answer this question when I was growing up.

Maybe David simply “stone cold” knocked Goliath out with the sling and stone–then went and got a sword, came back–and cut his big giant head off, slaying him.

One of the more popular myths in the religions of Judaism and Christianity is the myth of “David and Goliath.”

Maybe the men who wrote this very popular myth of “David and Goliath” should have done a better job of writing the myth, a better job of editing and clarifying the story before placing it in the religious books of Judaism and Christianity.

Are the Jewish and Christian religious books the word of God or written by men inspired by God? Whichever, God is responsible for whatever language we speak–so shouldn’t God be the ultimate editor?

My God! :scream: the verses are right next to each other.

But then, the conclusion of the myth of "David and Goliath’ is simply a contradictory and confusing conclusion to a myth authored by some anonymous men.

I Samuel 17:50-51

50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.

51 Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled.

2 Likes

Chaos star, dharma wheel, galactic empire…

Clearly these are all just incarnations of the same Eternal Circumference, appearing again and again throughout time and space.

3 Likes

1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Americans should have the free exercise of their religion–and the U.S.Congress should never make any law respecting an establishment of religion. Especially since all religions are mythological and created by men.

After watching the following video, it is great for the LGBT community, same-sex marriage and women’s reproductive rights (ex. abortion) that we also have the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Video of religious women upset over U.S.Supreme Court ruling validating same-sex marriage.

Section one (1) of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

1 Like

9 Likes

Yo Mama so fat, SHE an incarnation of the eternal circumference!

5 Likes
6 Likes

It’s good, but it’s not eternal…

2 Likes

I nominate this thread for @Falcor closure with prejudice.

4 Likes

Here are some much older and mythical African-Kemetic/Anu (Egyptian/Ethiopian) gods who may sound familiar.

Setan (Seth or Set) is a mythical African-Kemetic/Anu evil god who murders his good brother Osiris, and then takes over control of earth. Setan is associated with strength, war and destruction. He is associated with storms, the desert, and darkness. His color is red. Mythical African-Kemetic/Anu god Setan (Seth or Set).

He is also associated with being evil and causing chaos. He is often depicted as a man with the head of an animal, a strange and assorted mix of animals which do not represent the worshiping of animals, but is symbolic in that Setan can appear in many forms.

Another mythical African-Kemetic/Anu god of evil is Apep (Apepi). Apep commanded an army of evil cohorts who fought the loving and good creator sun god Ra, for the souls of mankind. Most times Apep is depicted as a giant snake or crocodile. Before Setan, Apep was the original god of evil; he represented total destruction and everlasting darkness. Ra in battle defeating Apep.

Khnum was an African-Kemetic/Anu creator god who was associated with the waters of the Nile River or the source of the Nile River. The black silt of the Nile River was used to make clay and pottery.

Khnum in myth was associated with clay and pottery; he was a self-created god who was the creator of all things and anything that will be.

Khnum is depicted in art as a man with the head of a ram (the sign of Aries), sitting at his potter’s wheel using his hands to create mankind out of clay with his hands. The myth of Khnum states that he created children at his potter’s wheel and then breathed life into them, giving them ‘ka’ (spirit). Mythical African-Kemetic/Anu god Khnum at his potter’s wheel creating humans.

1 Like
3 Likes

Buddhism may be a mythological religion, but there are many excellent quotes attributed to the myth of Buddha.

“In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.”—Buddha

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”—Buddha

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”—Buddha

”The mind is everything. What you think you become.”—Buddha

“You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.”—Buddha

”It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.”—Buddha

“To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.”—Buddha

1 Like

Bast was always my favorite:

Hummuna hummuna hummuna…

12 Likes

Did you have a 1st edition with the Cthulu mythos on it?

2 Likes