Quotes on religion and the mythical Christian solar god Jesus's association with the Sun

The rest of us have given up on figuring that out I think.

6 Likes

Well there is the very first international trade treaty negotiated by the newly liberated United States of America, it was negotiated under Ametica’s 1st president, George Washington and signed into law in the early days of the presidency of America’s second president, John Adams. Several of the men who fought in the Revolutionary War or were descended from men who fought in the Revolutionary War voted for the international trade treaty.

The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816: Treaty of Peace and Friendship, Signed at Tripoli November 4, 1796 (Treaty of Tripoli )

ARTICLE 11. states: “…America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion…”

ARTICLE 11

“As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”

Treaty of Tripoli

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1796t.asp

5 Likes

13 Likes

American camping food is very, very weird.

When I’m out walking, the only real concern is maximum fuel per kilogram, plus some lightweight spices to make it edible. Noodles and rice feature heavily.

Sweets are generally restricted to a 100g bar of 70% cocoa salted chocolate that should last about a week.

6 Likes

Please tell me more about [quote=“Wanderfound, post:465, topic:71023”]
American camping food is very, very weird.[/quote]
Is it really that different from other in the western camping world?

1 Like

Someone put up the Hog-Signal, Bat-Hog is here. Fear not citizens.

13 Likes

In part, it depends on what you mean by “camping”. I’m more of the “solo week-long walk over a mountain” sort rather than a family car camper.

Walking in Australia, hydration is the #1 survival issue, and natural sources of water are often unreliable. So, you end up carrying a lot of water, and once you start doing that every kilogram counts. A kilo of chocolate = one less litre of water = about 5km reduction in unsupplied range.

Even for the car campers though, we don’t do the American food stuff. “S’mores” are unheard of; most Australians wouldn’t have a clue what you’re talking about. If there’s any such thing as traditional Australian camping food, it’s barbequed sausages (in Oz-speak, “barbeque” just means “cooked on an outdoor grill”, BTW) and beer. Lots and lots of beer.

You may find kids toasting marshmallows on a fire occasionally, but even that is largely a product of exposure to American TV.

There are a couple of traditional Anglo-Australian bush foods (damper, billy tea) but those are largely of historical interest these days.

And, of course, there’s the bush tucker thing: traditional indigenous foods, harvested from the wild. Helluva lotta work to feed yourself that way, though, unless you’re willing to just clobber a kangaroo or goanna and eat that.

3 Likes

If we assume this, we are talking about the same thing. Thanks btw for the insight in other camping I did not really know. Seen, but not experienced. :wink:
Indeed weight and water are the main priorities. But I also love to eat nice. Remember to made myself once really ‘popular’ at a long mountain trip in Oman. (water!) But I also took (next to the usual dried food), dried tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, garlic (whole), pepper, seaweed, sesame seed, oregano. That kind of stuff, not heavy, I don’t need a lot of clothes (choose, eat reasonable well, or be a bit smelly, easy for me ;). So the volume is not a problem, but dried stuff can be compressed well.
And indeed foraging, a bit found can go a long way to add some extra. But indeed feeding yourself (and/or) others with only foraging? You probably need to travel slowly.
(point, lots to talk and discuss about, like religion) :wink:

1 Like

Especially when out walking, I tend to view food purely from a fuel perspective: calories per kilo has a large influence and I don’t much care what the delivery system is [1]. Nearly anything will taste okay if you throw enough garlic and chilli powder on it.

Most of my walking is done solo, so the social factor doesn’t really come into it. That applies at home, too; I never saw much point in expending a lot of effort in the kitchen just to feed one person.

If you have to, you can survive even on borderline-inedible crap. I once spent a week in the desert eating noodles cooked in Gatorade, as I’d run out of normal water.

BTW: just in case it was unclear, by “family car camping” I mean “family drives car to road-accessible prepared campsite, sets up a tent to sleep in” not “family sleeping in a car”.

[1] My eating habits are somewhat disordered in general, however. My standard stress response is to completely lose my appetite, and during my Honours thesis it got to the point where I’d routinely forget to eat for days at a time. By the end of it, I was down to 48kg (from my normal weight of about 70kg).

4 Likes

“I am the terror that snuffles in the night!”

Wait, that’s Darkwing Hog. My mistake, citizen.

7 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I give a thumbs up to this combo :D. It really is a good source of electrolytes and carbs. Which when you are in the desert are just one step lower than water.

But I gotta ask… Did you add any chili powder?

4 Likes

Would you want to eat Gatorade noodles without chilli powder?

6 Likes

My big question is this: what’s the best flavor of Gatorade for this sort of meal?

5 Likes

I’ve only tried it with pale green flavour; exploring the full spectrum of taste possibilities is something I leave for other researchers. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And it’s not half bad.

10 Likes

Yeah, I could totally see adding chili powder to that.

6 Likes

Fork away. This is fascinating stuff.

2 Likes

There were many devout Christians in early America, Christianity has always been the dominant religion in America. However some left Europe to escape religious persecution.
Keeping the government out of promoting religion was important and is clear in the wording of the very 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Amendment I. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

I am sure the numerous anti-religious quotes expressed by America’s 3rd president Thomas Jefferson, would have made it difficult, if not impossible for him to be elected president in 2016.

There were many pro-Christian quotes from America’s 1st and 2nd presidents, however even if they were presidential candidates today, given the importance of a presidential candidates religion and religious views, the bright lights of investigative journalism, social media and TV reporting everything a candidate says; I wonder if they could win a presidential election with the few anti-religious quotes expressed by them.

“Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause.”—George Washington

From: The John Adams Historical Society http://www.john-adams-heritage.com/quotes/

“This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.”– John Adams

“But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?”– John Adams, letter to FA Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816.

“Human passions unbridled by morality and religion…would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net.”– John Adams

2 Likes

11 Likes

The religious right and Republican Party are synonymous with using religion to discriminate and judge others, deny women the right to control their reproductive decisions, demonize the LGBTQ community and deny same-sex couples the right to marry and adopt children.

The religious right and republicans use religion to oppress and discriminate, they have nothing in common with some of America’s founding fathers, and they are intellectually oblivious to the meaning and intent of the words in the U.S. Constitution.

Here are some quotes from James Madison, the 4th President of the United States and the last founding father to be president, along with a link to his official presidential website showing a African-Kemetic/Anu religious monument called a Tejen or Tekhen (called obelisk by the Greeks), that marks the gravesite of James Madison and his famous 1st Lady, Dolly Madison, who was the first wife of a president to be called 1st Lady.

Thomas Jefferson who made numerous quotes about religion being mythical, requested in his end of life directives, that there be a African-Kemetic/Anu Tejen p!aced over his gravesite. I wonder who made the decision in later years to p!ace a Tejen over the gravesites of James and Dolly Madison. https://www.montpelier.org/mansion-and-grounds/landscape/madison-family-cemetery

“The civil rights of none, shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext infringed.”–James Madison, proposed amendment to the Constitution, given in a speech in the House of Representatives, 1789

“That Religion or the duty we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, being under the direction of reason and conviction only, not of violence or compulsion, all men are equally entitled to the full and free exercise of it according to the dictates of Conscience.”–James Madison, Amendments to the Virginia Declaration of Rights, June 1776

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprize, every expanded prospect.”–James Madison, letter to William Bradford, April 1, 1774

“We are teaching the world the great truth that Governments do better without Kings & Nobles than with them. The merit will be doubled by the other lesson that Religion Flourishes in greater purity, without than with the aid of Government.”–James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

2 Likes