Quotes on religion and the mythical Christian solar god Jesus's association with the Sun

3 Likes

vs.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

6 Likes

Did we somehow miss this one?

6 Likes

I freakin’ love that album and that song is one of my favorites.

2 Likes

That and We Shall All Be Healed.

2 Likes

African Popes ? :hushed:

…First, there was African Pope Saint Victor I, the 15th Pope who reigned from 186-197 A.D. This pope was said to have decided when to celebrate Easter. He was the first Christian author to write about theology in Latin.

Then there was Pope Saint Militiades, who served from 311-314 A.D. He wrote many of the Catholic hymns and settled issues over fasting on Thursdays or Sundays.

Lastly, there was the 49th Pope, Pope Saint Gelasius I. This African pope declared February 14 as “Valentine’s Day” to honor Bishop Valentine, a priest who had been executied. Gelasius was the third and last Bishop of Rome of Berber North African origin…

1 Like

4 Likes

937 Black/African Saints? :open_mouth:

http://www2.richmonddiocese.org/obc/l-saints.htm

St. Moses the Black, born around 330, was a physically strong Ethiopian with a bad temper who made his living as a thief. He eventually became a Christian, however, and joined the monks in the Sketis desert. He was chosen for the priesthood and ordained. Berber nomads killed him during a raid on his monastery, which he refused to defend. He decided he would rather die than go against the admonishment of Jesus to turn the other cheek.

Two Black/African Saints, a mother and her son :couple_with_heart:

Saint Monica, an African laywoman, is a saint with whom most black women can readily and easily identify, because Monica epitomizes the present-day black woman.

Saint Monica was born in Thagaste in northern Africa about 331. She was a devout Christian and an obedient disciple of St. Ambrose. Through her patience, gentleness and prayers she converted her pagan husband. To her son, St. Augustine of Hippo whom she loved dearly, she gave thorough religious training during his boyhood, only to know the disappointment of seeing him later scorn all religion and live a life of disrepute. Before her death Monica had the great job of knowing that Augustine had returned to God and was using all his energies to build Christ’s Church, and that her youngest daughter had become a nun…

Saint Augustine

Historians tell us that there is more intimate knowledge available about Saint Augustine than of any other individual in the whole world of antiquity. Augustine the Sinner is all too well known. There is knowledge of him as a convert and author of Confession, but little is known of him as a Father of the Church and as a saint.

Augustine was born in the little town of Tagaste, Africa, on November 13, 354. He claimed that he learned the love of God from his mother Monica’s breast, and that her early Christian training influenced his entire life.

He was highly educated, having studied at Madaura, Africa, the University of Carthage, and Rome. He was brilliant – actually a genius and he used his great abilities to lead men to love God.

His thousand of letters, sermons, and tracts, combined with 232 books instructed the Early Church and have relevance for the Church today. It is said that Christian scholars through the ages owe much to Augustine, and that the full impact of his psychology and his embryonic theology will be felt in years to come. Blondie writes, “The Augustinian outlook alone allows not only the Catholic philosophy, but also the fully human one.”

Augustine was truly a saint. He lived an austere life, performing great acts of mortification and penance. He wrote, “I pray to God, weeping almost daily. I have decided to desert Christ’s authority absolutely at no point.”

His feast day is August 28th.

4 Likes

Someone please post all 69 of the 69 Love Songs. Individually.

4 Likes

That would be awesome.

2 Likes
5 Likes

ii.

5 Likes

三.

4 Likes

δ.

5 Likes