Rabbit hole in England leads to 700-year old Knights Templar cave

The photography here was so exquisite, with apparent perspective of smallness turning into reality of smallness. About my favorite scene! :joy:

3 Likes

Oh, and another excuse to post this

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/mitchell-amp-webb-s-inebriati-the-knights-tippler-1453942

3 Likes

Why are the rabbits not wearing funny metal hats and why are not two of them riding on a single horse? These are not the rabbit templars I am looking for.

4 Likes

Or much, much worse.
http://www.bash.org/?104383

1 Like

Megalithic structures aren’t uncommon either during late neolithicum and early Bronze Age. Think e.g. of the Wartberg or Trichterbecher TRB culture gallery graves. Stonehenges functional equivalents are found all over Europe, they’re just generally less well preserved.

2 Likes

It was a complicated backstory. According to an interview between an observer of the predatory-publisher scene and the head honcho of the OMICS griftatorium (see page 7),

RP: The author of this paper also told me that, while he did email the paper to OMICS, he did not give OMICS permission to publish it, and indeed had been trying to get OMICS to take it down for some time. Are you able to give me any more background as to how and why the paper was published by OMICS, and say whether you agree with critics that it should not have been published?

Page 18 of that interview:

“I am the researcher, writer and editor [of the paper],” he replied to my enquiry. “The name is real and so is the story. I am an independent citizen researcher [and] I’ve been self-taught in biology, planetary science, earth science, quantum mechanics and the Holy Bible. The Bible came first, it made the other subjects more easy.”12
Williams explained that he had retired from his job in 2003 after a back injury, at which point, he said, he became an autodidact. Over the past nine years, he added, he has written a series of eighteen papers, which “range from planetary science, disease deletions and space science. They all tell a mankind story.” The Stonehenge paper, he added, is number two in the series.
[…]
Curiously, Williams added that he himself objected to the publication of his paper in the OMICS’ journal, and had been trying to get the publisher to take it down for some time. “The web site that you read the paper on did not get my permission to post Stonehenge,” he told me. “It was e-mailed to them for a review, no permissions were given to the site to post it. I have emailed and telephoned OMICS asking them to remove my paper. So far, it is still there. I will legally deal with OMICS at a later time.”

3 Likes

3 Likes

Indeed.

3 Likes

The woodhenges and strawhenges were all blown down during the invasion of the big bad wolves.

8 Likes

In retrospect, Meathenge was not as good an idea as at seemed at the time.

7 Likes

A nut case then. I thought maybe it was a little too serious to be a joke!

I don’t know what’s hurting science worse, predatory publishers who will print anything for a buck, or the anti-science idiots who now control the US government.

2 Likes

I guess Spinal Tap better update their song :wink:

2 Likes

That’s cuz of Obelix throwing them all at Roman legionaries as any fule kno.

7 Likes

There were later issues, too:

2 Likes

With all this talk of Stonehenge, I suppose this is obligatory:

I don’t recommend the full movie, even if you’re a fan of any of the actors involved (Highlander’s Peter Wingfield was the one who lured me in.) It’s definitely not one of SyFy’s “better” bad movies.

2 Likes

Black pudding is the supreme hangover cure, BTW. Bacon, eggs, mushrooms, black pud, all fried up together; puke or not, you’ll feel better for it.

Working man’s Gatorade.

3 Likes

It is also a signifier of a Proper Pub; coal fire on, even in July, pickled eggs for sale, and cubes of raw black pudding on a plate as bar snacks means you’ve arrived at an establishment worth returning to.

4 Likes

I’m going to confess this now; many years ago I ran a school trip to the Pennine Way. I had everything organised including a guaranteed meat-free diet for the Jewish kids (Liberal or Reform so not over hung up on Kosher, but still.) Imagine a youth hostel in a fairly isolated spot supplied by a local farmer with milk, eggs and pork related products.
Day 2 I had a small mutiny as the gentiles got the full English breakfast of what today we would call welfare-friendly organic bacon and black pudding. The spokeperson announced “We don’t think there’s a rabbi in a hundred miles and we want the proper breakfast”. I wrestled with my conscience all day and then, I’m afraid, let them have it for the sake of a quiet life. I think there was one holdout.
I did later discuss this dereliction of duty with a rabbi, but he was completely happy about it. He reminded me that Primo Levi’s father was unable to resist Bologna ham.

Edit - reviewing this story I am depressed at how things have become polarised over the last 40 years or so.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.