Racist border policies mean Toronto school board will no longer allow trips to Trump's USA

I think the point @bookworm1398 was making wasn’t that we TDSB should rethink it’s policies for fear of giving Trump what he wants, but more just that it’s sad that something like a racist travel ban can be so self-reinforcing. The TDSB did what it had to do, as did the girl guides of Canada (and I assume many other youth organizations and school boards will follow) . I look at this and think, “That’s one of many very good reason to not have a stupid racist travel ban,” but I was never going to support the travel ban in the first place. Others are looking at it thinking their goals were accomplished.

Extremism alienates people and isolates the extremists which leads to more extremism. It’s a tough cycle to break, and it’s a rare person who is even in a position where trying to break it makes any sense (i.e. as you said, you don’t use kids as foot soldiers in a culture war).

7 Likes

That really is the only sensible option. I’d recommend everyone from every nation boycott the U.S.A. until sanity is restored. Trade embargos should be considered as well. It would be immoral and counter to the best interests of peoples everywhere to do business with the U.S. while we are promoting racism and hate.

1 Like

I went to a Toronto ‘rich white school’ and my classes never went.

Here’s a message that everybody needs to get from one Canadian:

6 Likes

Vote all the bums out

1 Like

Bums have a lot more empathy for the downtrodden than Congresscritters do. Vote the bums in!

5 Likes

As you know i work for a big downtown university. While they haven’t come right out and said “don’t go to conferences in the USA” they are holding info sessions and have retained an immigration law firm to counsel and represent faculty that do. (And all us admins who book travel are no longer pinching pennies and booking flights with US stop overs. Direct flights only, budget be damned.)

5 Likes

Republic of California employees aren’t even allowed to travel to the US… Any states that have restrictive policies, like North Carolina’s bathroom bill, are forbidden.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.