Racist mass-murderer Dylann Roof doesn't want to die after all

Hey Dylann – white people don’t like you either.

4 Likes

“There were bad people on both sides of that murderous rampage.”

6 Likes

He’s pretty clearly not trying to actually get ‘better’ representation. He appears to be trying to delay any actual execution and at the same time he gets to use the process as a way of making himself feel justified and putting out his views.

1 Like

The big-eyed velvet chibi Nazi school. shudder

We’re all “race traitors” so we don’t count in Dylann Roof’s opinion.

4 Likes

I think even the other white supremacists don’t like him. They think he hurt their cause.

Seems like I read that somewhere, anyway; I’m not gonna go conduct a poll or anything.

3 Likes

Thanks for making these distinctions. IANAL and the finer points of this–state vs federal laws–and the chess games re pardons etc. are hard for me to understand clearly.

I am grateful for every opportunity to bring up Bryan Stevenson. He’s a phenomenal and extremely humble storyteller. The five-minute mark in this interview reminds me how far I have to go in my own growth as real human being:

Well he got his race war.
Some people are never happy.

1 Like

Won’t time travelers have tried that at some point in the future? [It’s a common thing to try in time travel stories involving Hitler that I’ve read.] I think that usually will have led to the Nazi party taking power with a more competent leader, one who lets the generals do their thing and win (or at least make a better showing in) World War 2 in Europe.

1 Like

If you don’t have Hitler, you won’t have the Nazi party as we would recognize it.

Now, some kind of a nationalist, revanchist, militarist German government in the mid-to-late '30s seems extremely plausible to me; even a lot of the people who thought of Nazis as thugs or idiots were very unhappy with the Versailles peace and things like the French occupation of Saarland. A more garden-variety Fascist Germany, more along the lines of Mussolini or Franco, would also be quite likely.

As for doing better in WW2, that’s also entirely possible, if said German government had focused and more-or-less sane war aims (“Let’s grab back all the bits of the Second Reich we had to give up, and force a hard peace on France and Poland so that they can’t jump us in ten year’s time!” vs. “Let’s conquer East Europe up to the Urals, kill or enslave everyone there, and settle the Russian steppes with new German colonies!”), and didn’t do things like waste massive resources on trying to genocide Jews and other undesirables on an industrial scale.

I’m one of those boring people who believes that time travel is only possible at a rate of one second per second into the future.

1 Like

Aside from hereditary monarchs and the Kims, almost all of your really evil dictator types were failed something or other. Too many to deal with:

1. Stalin would have to be accepted as a first class poet (or just a bank robber)
  2. Saddam Hussein a best selling author of historical romance fiction
  3. Fidel Castro as a major league pitcher
  4. Ho Chi Minh remains a talented pasty chef
  5. Pol Pot and Mao Zedong would have to have been better students (both were kicked out of colleges for poor grades)

Why do you deem Castro “really evil”? Anyone the U.S. tried dozens of times to assassinate can’t be all that bad.

3 Likes

Also:

3 Likes

It can be two things.

He may not believe in evolution (and therefore not appreciate the award), although he may have an unfortunately useless epiphany just before a black technician administers the lethal injection.

1 Like

“The victims forgave him, so why not give him the ultimate forgiveness and let him free.”

3 Likes

And why Ho Chi Minh? What do you think changed him from a London pastry chef who admired the British Labour Party to the leader of a Communist insurrection? It wouldn’t have been the disgusting corruption of the South Vietnamese government and its support by the US, would it?

(I am aware that the US sees things very differently. On a committee I was on, we had a Vietnamese guy who was now a French citizen but still a supporter of Vietnamese independence. Fortunately none of our American colleagues understood French, but we still felt it wise to keep them separated by the length of the table.)

2 Likes