Racist rant wins South African white woman 2 years in prison

I might say that the price you pay for punching someone is that you might, from time to time, be hurt by someone punching you.

3 Likes

The Nazis are already “punching.”

8 Likes

Following that Wikipedia link the first line reads:

Afrikaners are a Southern African ethnic group descended from predominantly Dutch settlers first arriving in the 17th and 18th centuries.[8]

So not only were my Dutch ancestors the primary transporters in the transatlantic slave trade they also are responsible for the apartheid in South Africa.

A good reminder that the liberal view we (the Dutch) mostly get ascribed, was historically more a “let’s not let our religious preferences get in the way of our business”-view.

This may be too pedantic but I would call it a Dutch word. Afrikaans and Dutch are close enough that Afrikaans is almost closer to being a accent then a language. I’ve often heard “apartheid” being called the most famous Dutch word. On the other hand it was the Afrikaners that gave the word it’s new meaning so I could easily see it argued being Afrikaans too.

5 Likes

The problems of the 1940’s were not caused by an excess of Nazi-punching.

11 Likes

umm don’t think Confederate flags have been banned anywhere, just no longer officially displayed. That’s a big difference.

4 Likes

Stories like this are why I cringe whenever a poll rolls out that indicates the younger US population looks kindly on banning “hate speech” any other ridiculous verbal microaggression. None of the language police ever assume that the ridiculous enforcement of the law will get pointed at them, or that people exist who will find their speech objectionable.

Speech is not a crime nor should it ever be. That includes racists, jerks, trolls, Nazis, Westboro BC, Antifa, or any other band of objectionable idiots. If you’re foolish enough to equate free speech with a physical attack, you’re behaving no older than a preschooler.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Didn’t say they were. What I do say is that romantic fantasies about street fighting are just that.

Well I’m going to have to somewhat disagree.
If during reconstruction they had come down hard on hate speech and stopped Jim crow from ever getting a toe hold things may have worked out differently in the south.

4 Likes

I absolutely believe in the right to defend oneself. And I’m certainly not going to be able to outpunch a 22 year old skinhead.

That’s why I have acquired a concealed carry permit. And helped others, including women and non-whites, to do the same. Good for them, say I.

1 Like

Who is “they”? Can you name anyone who was then opposed to hate speech and had the power to come down hard on it?

I don’t know but I’d definitely “buy that for a dollar”.
I’ve got a silly fanboy crush on Yolandi Visser.

4 Likes

You cringe when people say we should ban hate speech because places that outlaw hate speech sometimes arrest people for hate speech? That is circular reasoning that makes no sense unless we all agree that banning hate speech is a bad thing to begin with. Of course outlawing hate speech makes hate speech illegal.

So I guess my question is, why do you really cringe? Is it because you think this woman is going to jail unjustly? Hate speech doesn’t even show up in the crime statistics. It’s obviously incredibly rare for such charges to be made and to stick if it makes international news when they do. Still, one unjust imprisonment is one too many.

What if I accept that every person who is imprisoned under these laws is imprisoned unjustly? America has more than double South Africa’s incarceration rate. That would mean that for every South African imprisoned under these laws there are perhaps tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of Americans in prison who wouldn’t be if they had the same legal system as South Africa. How many of them are imprisoned unjustly?

Obviously it would be foolish to say that somehow American-style free speech leads to Americas incarceration rate. But when you wonder why people from outside America aren’t jealous of America’s ideas about freedom, maybe it’s just that America is obviously doing something incredibly wrong even if we can’t quite say what. No one is interested in taking freedom lessons from a country that strips so many of its citizens of their freedom.

12 Likes

Except for Breton Bretonbach - and he’s emigrated to Paris.

Tell the truth i felt sorry for her. Must be tough living in a place where the rules did a 180. And she had just been robbed, by one presumes, some “blek peepl”.

Did we not pay attention during us history class or are you being intentionally clueless?
Here let me help

The they would have been the federal government who at that time as dictating policy in the south… because that’s what you do to a vanquished enemy state.

6 Likes

Start reading here. I can add many more links if it will help you

More accurately, the Nazis punched first, second and third, and ignoring them doesn’t stop them because their entire ideology is punching people they hate.

9 Likes

Righhhht.
That’s where this came from

Just so you can stop playing gotcha…
They= federal government in general.
Like I said it’s too bad they didn’t come down on hate speech…for whatever reason.
I think in liberating an enslaved people some curtailment of the enslaving people’s rights would have been in order to balance the scales. (Yes that includes the north)

3 Likes

Yeah, sorry I wasn’t clear. I was just noting that had the US outlawed those symbols it would have fit the same pattern of South Africa after Apartheid and Germany after Nazi rule.

The US took a different approach.

The new president of SA wants to repatriate the farms in the country the way Zimbabwe did without compensation to the white land owners. They are also about to run out of water in Cape Town. You might want to hold off on a positive judgement for now.