Racist tries to shame Spanish speakers in market, but another shopper steps in to shame the racist

She probably assumes they are talking shit about her. Since everything is about her.

7 Likes

That assumes that she sees all human beings as equals who should be treated with the same level of respect and consideration.

I suspect that she is one of those people who thinks that white anglo-Americans are God’s chosen people, who should be treated with special consideration and respect, but who owe no such consideration to others.

3 Likes

I must have missed it - no xkcd yet?

18 Likes

Why isn’t making laws regarding legal languages (as in “it’s illegal to print voter pamphlets in Spanish, or Vietnamese”), and legally mandatory language (e.g., “if you can’t speak English, you can’t be a citizen”) not a 1st amendment issue? Aren’t both of those laws abridging the freedom of speech? (Please educate me… I get the whole Paine “free speech you are responsible for the consequences of your words, thing,” that’s clear… and not what I’m asking after).

OK, IANAL, but to me the first example would be abridging free speech (If a jurisdiction wanted to print ballots in Swahili and was prevented from doing so, for example.) The second would not be (I think) since you are not preventing the person from expressing themselves, you are requiring them to learn English. That is a shitty and probably indefensible requirement, but not 1st amendment. I would be interested to know if either of these examples are actual things, because I would think either would be up for legal challenge.

1 Like

The responding officer was Sgt. Carlos Cornejo, so they very well may have.

As an aside, my mother, who was a global traveller, once pointed out to me that not being able to understand the language of those around you in a public space is actually rather a blessing. You don’t have to overhear the mostly banalities. When I travel in a country where I do not grasp the language, I choose to believe that the conversations which I overhear concern such matters as metaphysics … and it immeasurably improves my outlook.

3 Likes

Isn’t compelled speech a violation of free speech?

Compelled speech is a violation. I have never seen “Requirement to learn a language” defined as compelled speech. There are other laws that might come into play. Again, IANAL and should not be trusted for legal opinions, just an area of interest for me.

San Francisco. San Jose. Los Altos. Los Gatos. Santa Cruz. Seattle. Los Angeles. Minor towns of no consequence.

5 Likes

Perhaps it is related to the incomprehensibility of the Welsh language. You cannot cooperate with people you cannot communicate with.

/S

There is only one situation where one should get offended about someone speaking another language:

If you are in mixed company, and people in the group are speaking a different language than the rest. Basically, if they could speak the language that everyone speaks, but opt not to, they are excluding people and that is rude.

But, you know. These are Americans who expect everyone in the US to speak English. And when they travel to other countries they… Also expect everyone to speak English.

12 Likes

Why do people think that racists need an advocate?

11 Likes

Ahem:

• Be cool. Don’t post or encourage insulting, bullying, victim-blaming, racist, sexist, violent, or homophobic remarks.

• Stay on topic. Don’t hijack threads, repeat yourself, post walls of text, or generic talking points.

• Constructive criticism is welcome. Hostile, whining hand-wringers will be eaten.

8 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Out of interest, can you explain what it was that made you annoyed about someone speaking another language? Was it purely because you couldn’t understand it or something else?

I grew up in a small English-speaking town. I had one Croatian friend, one Chinese friend, and one Pakastani friend but otherwise everyone’s household spoke English as a first language. My university had a huge Chinese-Canadian population so it wasn’t uncommon to find myself in situations where I was a minority. I’ll admit to finding this threatening. Again, youthful ignorance.

Indeed! Have you read the Chaos Walking trilogy? Humans settle a planet where thoughts can be heard by all…

3 Likes

No, is it good? I could use some more reading now that fall is here. :slight_smile:

I liked them. First 2 were free from my library ebook service and I was so hooked I bought the last. Check ‘em out and let me know. They’re categorized as YA, but I thought there was plenty to keep an adult mind engaged.

1 Like