Two women detained for speaking Spanish in Montana convenience store settle border patrol lawsuit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/24/two-women-detained-for-speaking-spanish-in-montana-convenience-store-settle-border-patrol-lawsuit.html

9 Likes

Fucking dismantle ICE and CBP for racketeering.

They’re a gang.

40 Likes

Chase at the bottom of things, again

1 Like

I assume that, like other cops, this settlement comes directly from my taxes and not the CPB budget.

26 Likes

This Nerf-play needs to stop. Make them admit fault, and pay accordingly from the CPB budget.

This is why they feel no remorse about putting kids in cages or talking shit about immigrants on social media or taking people’s cash and carry under $10,000, because anything we throw at them has no real teeth.

28 Likes

I’d settle for a kick in the nuts, $1 per kick.

13 Likes

It’s probably just as well that CBP didn’t catch my SO and me speaking German in retail outlets all over California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona during our holiday there last year. That would have been extra suspicious.

6 Likes

Oh, FFS, the government response:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in its statement that its workers “are trained to enforce U.S. laws uniformly and fairly and they do not discriminate based on religion, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.”

Well, they OBVIOUSLY FUCKING DID, DIDN’T THEY?
Especially since:

In gathering information for the lawsuit, the ACLU said Customs and Border Protection agents in northern Montana acknowledged they routinely profiled non-white people.

[extended swearing]

40 Likes

They made it all the way to Montana undetected, only to blow their cover by speaking their native language in a convenience store. How ironic. Wait, did you say Montana?!

7 Likes

An infuriatingly common occurrence.

43 Likes

[pearl clutching gif]

11 Likes

An old, white man turned around and “asked” if he could “give you some advice?” to me.

Me, confused but brow beaten by traditions, customs & society to always respect elders, replied, “sure…?”

I was having a private conversation about my social security,” the man said “You are standing too close to me. I do not appreciate my privacy being invaded.”

I just stared, dumbfounded at this announcement. It was raining really hard, and this was when there were public phone booths. This one was under an awning that my elderly mother and I took shelter under.

If he hadn’t announced whatever he was talking about, I would never have known. I wasn’t even aware there was someone in the phone booth. I was busy fussing over my mother. I distinctly remembered trying to get her to close her jacket and wrap her scarf securely in our native language. We’re from a tropical country, the cold and the cold rain was just unheard of.

I don’t remember my response but the old man flounced out of there, thoroughly outraged. He was just another in a long line of Americans (of all races) I’ve had the unfortunate karma to meet who fully believe they’re more important than they really are. That their opinion holds more merit & weight just because of their brainwashed “American Exceptionalism” propaganda.:roll_eyes::unamused:

Nobody else can have a crises or have problems without them pulling out the tin foil hat, “talking about them” in our language. Their, “speak English! I can’t understand!” now gets my, “Ever thought it’s none of your business?”

Everything must revolve around them and only them. Repulsively this cultural attitude has a high rate of infection & 3rd gen immigrants are often enthusiastic participants, too.

19 Likes

3 Likes

WTF‽
The name Montana comes from the word montaña (which is Spanish for “mountain”).
Also, Montana’s motto, visible on the state seal, is Oro y Plata (which is Spanish for “Gold and Silver”).
See: https://www.google.com/search?q=Seal+of+Montana&tbm=isch

24 Likes
16 Likes

Land of the Brave, Home of the Free Show Me Your Papers!

4 Likes

Sorry. Can only like this once.

2 Likes

Not to be a pedant, but it’s the same thing…

2 Likes

I think that what @Ratel means is that CBP doesn’t have to make any cuts to its operational budget to cover the settlement, so there are no real consequences for wrongful conduct.

4 Likes

Any brown person in 'murica who has NOT experienced this sort of behavior is living in a very isolated place. There are SO MANY incidents where this has happened to me simply for living while brown. Most white folks just shake their head in “amazement” that this kind of thing can happen.

Not only happens every day, it happens with alarming frequency because believe it or not, 'murica is still a very fucking racist country.

Always has been. Always will be. Denying that fact is what keeps us where we are.

8 Likes