Woman smashed in face with beer mug for speaking Swahili at Applebees

[Read the post]

Christ what an asshole. I hope she gets lots of community service, and has to tolerate lots of people speaking languages she doesnā€™t understand. Perhaps send her to a community college. I doubt sheā€™d have much of a chance of understanding anything there.

34 Likes

Burchard-Rischā€™s mugshot tears reveal how deeply she cares about English. And about people.

When sheā€™s in the stoney lonesome, I hope she speaks with whatever accent her violent cellmate finds acceptable.

7 Likes

Alcohol. You are doing it wrong.

12 Likes

What is wrong with people? Who attacks people over a private conversation?

21 Likes

ā€˜Burchard-Rischā€™ sounds kind of foreign to me. Definitely not good Anglo-Saxon stock. Since she apparently doesnā€™t understand ā€˜donā€™t be a horrible personā€™, perhaps she should at least remember that for any given in-groupness status display, you are unlikely to be at the top of the heap, which is the pragmatic reason that accompanies any ethical considerations for why that sort of thing is bad policy.

5 Likes

Christians, probably.

19 Likes

Thatā€™s just horrifying. Hope Burchard-Risch sees some substantial jail time.

3 Likes

ā€œCoon Rapids, Minnesotaā€ Stopped right there, need no further data.

12 Likes

ā€œIā€™m home,ā€ she told Burchard-Risch at the Applebeeā€™s. ā€œI can speak English, but we choose to speak whatever language we want.ā€

You know, itā€™s called ā€œfreedom.ā€

33 Likes

Dakotan was spoken in Minnesota before English. Maybe someone should smash Bouchard-Risch in the face with a beer mug for speaking that foreign English instead of Dakotan.

25 Likes

Thatā€™s not what I referred to.

I read it when it was originally posted. If you think one study justifies a sweeping generalization, I donā€™t know what to tell you. Especially when you take into account that the study spanned several countries. In general, I donā€™t see American Muslims beheading people in the street. So I am guessing there MIGHT be an affect by the regional culture as well as with the religion. Also there are huge differences in attitudes within each religion. The average Southern Baptists vs say Anglican.

Yep - I bet that lady has more than one bias. Letā€™s continue to hold her accountable for her actions and not shift the blame to a group she may or may not belong to. I mean, looks like she is a dirty blonde, so, you know, they arenā€™t known for being the sharpest rock in the box (sarcasm to illustrate point.)

What, you donā€™t like raccoons? Ar are you against the Whig party who used it as a mascot.

if the shoe fits and all thatā€¦

Rightā€¦ so if a racists shows stats for high minority crime, low school test scores etc, that justifies their attitude?

Seriously. Donā€™t become what you hate.

16 Likes

I am with Mister44 on this. It seems crazy to meet Burchard-Rischā€™s crazy intolerance with a different kind of intolerance. This is a story about a human who found a way to differentiate ā€œusā€ vs. ā€œthemā€ and use that differentiation to rationalize harmful behavior. If we start getting all ā€œusā€ vs. ā€œthemā€ in this thread, where will be?

And for that matter, there is no evidence to suggest that this woman is Christian. Some people might say thereā€™s ample evidence to suggest that sheā€™s not.

13 Likes

If the trickster god and/or programmers of the Matrix want to convince me that this universe I experience is totally random and not created as a hellish joke, they need to stop using towns named Coon Rapids for stories like this.

6 Likes

But the nice man on Fox News said it was okay to hit people who arenā€™t ā€˜MURICANS!!ā€™ And we know Fox News is never wrong!!

Substantial jail time isnā€™t too likely for third degree assault, Iā€™m betting.

So folks know, I looked up assault in the third degree. The relevant portion is cited below.

609.223 ASSAULT IN THE THIRD DEGREE.
**Ā§Subdivision 1.**Substantial bodily harm. Whoever assaults another and inflicts substantial bodily harm may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

16 Likes

She was charged with just third-degree assault? How the hell is this not battery?

[Edit: Wow, @jeblucas read my mind as I was typing that.]

4 Likes