Radio station mysteriously plays the same Rage Against the Machine song for hours on end

The Gaurdians of the Groove will never perish

There are still independent radio stations out there kicking ass

10 Likes

Radio is still a thing? Why?

Mostly joking. My nesting partner listens to some of our local NPR stations and sometimes WFMT in her car. I removed the antenna from my car shortly after I bought it and have never bothered to reconnect it.

4 Likes

It was on all day. It was fun and odd.
:tada:
-Oh it’s still going now - just checked.
Heard it on in a few cars today.

4 Likes

Back in the day, the Australian govt youth station got in trouble for playlisting “Fuck tha Police” for 6 months, so they locked the doors and played “Express Yourself” for 24 hours straight. Whole bunch of people got fired for it.

9 Likes

Don’t we?

What did Bartlett do that Biden doesn’t do?

1 Like

Not much now that Biden fell off his bike.

1 Like

I liked the bit where they sang, “Nixon’s the one.”

1 Like

Umm, wouldn’t you want to showcase to potential advertisers what your new format would be, to encourage them in?

1 Like

Nah, it was the ghost in the machine. The ghost of John Peel to be specific…

5 Likes

5 Likes

A station in Cleveland (also called The End) pulled that same REM stunt in the 90s. Probably the same owners?

2 Likes

1990, Australia. JJJ FM (the ABC radio station for “youth” programming, meaning, they’re the ones who play current chart music and up-and-comers) were playing NWA’s Fuck Tha Police. Possibly uniquely on the air in the world at the time.

Management told them to stop playing it. And in a current affairs piece (JJJ also runs news and current affairs tailored for young people), the acting News Editor played a snippet of Fuck Tha Police in a discussion about why it might be considered offensive. So he was suspended.

So for 24 hours, as a result, the only song that played on JJJ was NWA’s Express Yourself. Just that, on repeat.

The point was made.

6 Likes

The Wiki article for this station confirms this is a stunt attached to a format change.

2 Likes

it just changed! they segued into a QOTSA song. (~9:12am Eastern, so ~6am in Vancouver)

2 Likes

But which one? We need to know! “No one Knows” or something much more recent?!?

2 Likes

give me MOAR!!!
awwwwwwwww QUIT IT NOW!

Nope. Not entirely. I can think of at least one independent radio station here in town.

https://wrfg.org/

Because the airwaves exist, and some of us still enjoy listening to live radio?

10 Likes

If it was John Peel, he’d play it, say he thought he might have played it at the wrong speed, played it again at a different speed, said he might have been right the first time, and then ordered a Mushroom Biryani. :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Not long after Trump took office in 2017, many radio stations around the US began playing FDT parts 1 and 2 on a continuous loop. This wasn’t a stunt, though. There was a security vulnerability in the internet-facing part of platform some radio stations were using and they all got hacked remotely.

It was a cathartic thing to hear this for days on end, but the dark side was it really only affected small stations — the kind that are listener supported or otherwise have minuscule budgets. It didn’t stick it to the big Clear Channel stations or anything. So that kinda sucked.

This made me think of that.

4 Likes

“No One Knows.”

1 Like