Railroad workers' "man cave" discovered under NYC's Grand Central Terminal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/railroad-workers-man-cave-discovered-under-nycs-grand-central-terminal.html

4 Likes

That was lame… they should have also got a mini SNES or Genesis for that tv. Pretty lame man cave without some gaming options

11 Likes

I like the idea but I think they were lacking ambition.

26 Likes

One close to me could have really used such a refuge. She was a transit cop directing teams to drag out the subway’s overnight corpses. It’s hell down there.

13 Likes

I was hoping for something along the lines of the lair from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.

turtle-lair

19 Likes

These things are never as cool as advertised.

38 Likes

I was involved in an investigation of some in-house trades workers having constructed a hidden room at the large hospital I managed security in. We even set up a covert video camera and caught them bringing beer into the room during their workday. One of them retired immediately on being caught and the others were suspended without pay for a couple of weeks.

15 Likes

I’m sure it’s been posted here on the Boings in the past, but the inspiration for that lair was/is a real subway station (City Hall / City Hall Loop), abandoned but preserved as it was, in NYC. It was also the inspiration for the battle scene in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

History: City Hall station (IRT Lexington Avenue Line) - Wikipedia

13 Likes

The U.S.A (Whooop! Whooop!) gives sooo many gifts to corporations, LLC’s, Oligopolies, Duopolies, etc., that when I find out about this sort of luxury for regular folks, I chuckle and wish they weren’t caught. Fire hazard? Corporations all over this country cut corners on EVERYTHING! This isn’t about safety, it’s about the wrong class of people getting paid to screw around.

44 Likes

Frankly, these guys were IDIOTS for ruining a free apartment in NYC FFS =x. Just a little less raucous, and they’d be home free still.

10 Likes

Can’t argue with a word of this.

21 Likes

Many, many years ago, my best friend and his Queens neighborhood buddies (I then a Brooklynite) discovered a similar “man cave” hidden within some overpass roadway construction. The overpass – made up of a series of massive connected box girders (which the neighborhood kids called “The Submarine” – was built to accommodate electrical utilities and drainage, hence the inclusion of a steel ‘manway’ door built on one end of it. Clearly an invite for the kids. Inside they found a “love nest” (their words) furnished with bedding, a small table, wall posters… and not a few used condoms. Some later spying revealed the identity of Loverboy who turned out to be a guy they all knew of; slightly older than them and greatly disliked. In those days, it was probably much easier to trip over crates of blasting caps, and a crate became available then to the viciously resourceful kids. Yep. They followed through, blowing up the contents of The Submarine. No. I’d never condone anything like that (exploding the innards of a roadway overpass).

12 Likes

The thing some people will do to be surrounded by the smell of stale pee

1 Like

If it was only for after hours and did not pose a fire hazard, I might be okay with it. I had heard a podcast (I believe) about an (early?) 20th century fire that was just horrific. I am sure the MTA has been ramping up inspections and cleaning house since March:

4 Likes

hats off to these guys. That is one epic way to slack during company time.

3 Likes

In my experience, every large factory has one or two of these retreats, with varying levels of amenities.

6 Likes

In my corporate computer center, supply closets provided privacy. Bring intoxicants and condoms.

2 Likes

Looking at the disaster the US appears to be these days, I can’t disagree with your comments regarding the railroad workers.
As it applies to the situation I related, these guys are in well paid union positions, have great job security working in our Provincial healthcare system, are members of the very generous BC Municipal Pension Plan and have no excuse for hiding out and drinking on the job while the rest of their department picks up the slack.

1 Like

I was a safety officer in an industrial plant. One of my jobs was to walk around and look for safety problems and I frequently found dens. I only formally reported the ones that presented health and safety issues, but I also sometimes passed the word informally to low-level supervisors that their guys needed a word.

11 Likes

Praise “Bob”!

4 Likes