Railroad workers' "man cave" discovered under NYC's Grand Central Terminal

It’s America so probably true.

In France they found one built underground clearly by people with some means. It got similarly shut down, but the builders never caught.

11 Likes

Interesting affairs! Quite a while ago though, 2004, I wonder what they have done lately.

Their 2007 clock restoration got them in trouble again; “Charges were brought against the four Untergunther restorers of the Pantheon clock, but at trial, after 20 minutes’ deliberation, the judge ruled in their favor. One of the government’s prosecutors referred to the charges as ‘stupid’.”

10 Likes

Why would one need to store old locksmiths?

5 Likes

The lockpicking lawyer harvests their brains in order to increase his powers. Gotta store them somewhere.

9 Likes

In this case it’s not a corporation doing the “cutting corners”; it’s a government entity.
There are people getting fat and screwing around in government too. How many pols do you know that go home at night with their greens filthy and salt stained?

But, hey, you’re on the right track! Keep digging, but I give you fair warning:
Independent Thought Alarm

Just make sure your only friends aren’t in low places :wink:

1 Like

Reminds me of this:

But just in the way that their growing cavalier was what led to being discovered. The accidental room group had cool motives at the start.

1 Like

Well fuck yeah, because taxpayers who need reliable mass transit to get to work are exactly like tech billionaires with Gulfstreams and private islands.

Neat. I have thought of a Shadow story where one of his lairs is a forgotten maintenance room.

1 Like

It’s a Room of Requirement for people with simple needs.

People see a simple squat because that’s what they’re expecting, but if you enter expecting the grand cinema and baths…

2 Likes

Their theme song was:
‘Hey, you’ve got to love your Hideaway . . .’

3 Likes

Late 20th century rather than early, and not US, but this one was terrible:

Caused by a match dropped into litter accumulated beneath a wooden escalator.

4 Likes

There have been a few wooden sports stands go up the same way, most tragically at Valley Parade in Bradford.

Valley Parade is still used as an example of how quickly a fire can spread. It was five minutes from the first sign of smoke to the entire stand being on fire, including the roof.

6 Likes

Oh man, I understand the non-slang use of this term in this context, but if you read it incorrectly on purpose…

2 Likes

Thanks for the fair warning, I will really take this into account…

By the way, in our world, today, with nepotism, ideological straight jacketing, and strict adherence to neoliberal purity, there is very little difference between corporate HATE of labor and state sponsored hate of labor. There is also very little alignment between tax payers and their elected government.

Change the paradigm and I’m with you, until then I’m not pointing any fingers at working jerks( some of whom get a better deal compared to other working people, but nobody gets a good deal since the mid 70’s,)

We can fight about which working class people have it easier…but that division just makes the oligarchs laugh and dance. They have won repeatedly and any small victory against them is alright with me.

Government workers are the enemy of all us good tax paying folks right? That doesn’t serve anybody’s interest, does it?

By the way, in our world, today, with nepotism, ideological straight jacketing, and strict adherence to neoliberal purity, there is very little difference between corporate HATE of labor and state sponsored hate of labor. There is also very little alignment between tax payers and their elected government.

Change the paradigm and I’m with you, until then I’m not pointing any fingers at working jerks( some of whom get a better deal compared to other working people, but nobody gets a good deal since the mid 70’s,)

We can fight about which working class people have it easier…but that division just makes the oligarchs laugh and dance. They have won repeatedly and any small victory against them is alright with me.

Government workers are the enemy of all us good tax paying folks right? That doesn’t serve anybody’s interest, does it?

1 Like

Nope.

If you have a good job, one that can’t be automated, with good benefits and a good retirement plan, you do the cause of working people no good whatever by slacking off while on the clock, and then getting caught at it. Do you think that the Amazon or Walmart worker is cheering for these guys?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.