Rand Paul plans to crush the PATRIOT Act

Every night before I lay my head on the pillow I whisper, “Please, great Cthulhu, let Rand Paul be the Republican nominee and Hillary Clinton the Democratic nominee, so I can follow the campaign on boingboing.”

5 Likes

Is that such a bad thing? At least this would make it (paradoxically) voluntary slavery, which sounds much more civilized than the traditional type.

1 Like

I would insist on double your money back.

1 Like

Alternate headline: “Rand Paul to take credit for Congress’ inability to reauthorize the Patriot Act.”

5 Likes

Negative rights: “You can’t stop me”

Positive rights: “You must do this for me”

1 Like

Rand is a creep, but if he helps kill the PATRIOT act, then I’ll consider it a rare case of a creep doing something I agree with. If you want to allow your dislike for Rand make you wish Rand wasn’t against the PATRIOT Act, that is your FSM given right.

14 Likes

Enemy of my enemy etc. etc.

1 Like

Then do as Medievalist asked, and link to them. I kind of dislike the smarmy little punk myself, but I will not pretend he’s worse than he is because of his atavistic views on womens’ rights or his exclusionary views on personal freedom.

This event should be 1) popcorn-worthy and 2) a beautiful example of the weird virtues of frequent popular elections. If Paul didn’t have his eye on the Presidency (or at least the power he can garner by making a full on run for it), we wouldn’t be discussing him here today, and he wouldn’t be doing squat.

2 Likes

Dear Mark, now I feel like an idiot for suggesting that what your wife posted should be an embarrassment to the founding editors. Yes if Rand does manage to kill the Patriot act (which I’m sure he won’t, it is just posturing), then that will have been a good thing for a creep to do. It was mostly the giant campaign-style photo (at least, it was giant on my browser) plus the link to the fawning Politico piece that made me think someone had been bamboozled by Rand and actually thought he’d make a good president. Dear Carla, I’m sorry I was rude.

4 Likes

Thanks Avunculoid! I agree the photo we used could cause someone to think “huh?” That’s my fault!

3 Likes

At least he seems to have the Constitution on his tie.

Nice thing to rub in the noses of his colleagues…

1 Like

I’m going to stop by my local Amtrak station, and as the train comes to a stop, I will put my hand against it and apply a little force. Then as the passengers step out I’ll say I stopped the train for them, and explain how I really care about stopping trains, and that they should give me a really powerful job stopping trains and also starting them.

2 Likes

While I agree with you, and with @avunculoid that Rand Paul is a disaster (because he choose an inadequate set of fundamental principles)… he is at least much less inconsistent than nearly all politicians out there today. That takes balls, and earns at least a bit of grudging respect from me.

2 Likes

To avoid goalpost-shifting, what exactly are you looking for?

And discuss the junior Senator from Kentucky in the context of what he has actually done, or actually said.

1 Like

I invite you to look a little deeper into Klan Paul’s statements, and see for yourself his vast “inconsistent” frame of mind.

FYI: Politifact can be intellectually dishonest.

And what you did there can be considered fallacy ad hominem

The “National Review” the right wing bi-monthly rag, is hardly a conclusive way to make any argument…

Especially on “intellectual dishonesty”.

1 Like

I initially responded with “consider the argument, not the source” but realized that was exactly what I was doing with Politifact. It’s also what many, including you, are doing to Paul: letting dislike of the source of a message overwhelm the message’s content. So, mea culpa.