Ranger School officer slams critics of female graduates

Cadmium plating, probably. This will give you an idea of why: Plating - Wikipedia.

1 Like

This seems a likely explanation, and I’d probably put that bolt in a cabinet and handle it as little as possible going forward. Cadmium can be quite nasty.

Those bangs can’t possibly be regulation.

1 Like

5 Likes

I can appreciate that viewpoint–thanks for letting me in the club, now who was it you wanted me to kill for you? But, at the very least, it establishes women in yet (as if we needed one) another vastly male-dominated field, and given the hoops the Captain and LT went through to start a process they knew would be under the [social microscope]/[media barrage], these two women are smart and capable such that they’ll be in the ruling minority when the Big Decisions (much less the small ones) need to be made regardless of the principle being expressed, yes?

1 Like

Yeah, we sure have been oppressing ISIS lately… American foreign policy has been schizophrenic for decades, to say that it is all bad is just as wrong as to say that it is all good.

Say what now? Just because a woman is making big decisions doesn’t mean she’s likely to make better ones than a man would.

2 Likes

Your go-to example of good US Foreign Policy is the suppression of ISIS?

I mean, I personally accept that military force remains an essential component of global stability and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future (though many don’t), but ISIS is the living, breathing horrific embodiment of the failure of US foreign policy.

Anyone with half a brain predicted the rise of extremism in Iraq if the US went in and destabilised the country, it was pretty obvious.

Describing the US’s luke warm attempts to reign in ISIS as some kind of triumph is a bit like praising the efforts of the Fire Fighter who is also lighting the fires…

8 Likes

It’s in a box, but its much brighter and a different color than the cadmium I saw in a google search.

The wiki entry in the post above talks about how cadmium plating can be colored to the need for the application.

Snip:

Cadmium plating (or “cad plating”) offers a long list of technical advantages such as excellent corrosion resistance even at relatively low thickness and in salt atmospheres, softness and malleability, freedom from sticky and/or bulky corrosion products, galvanic compatibility with aluminum, freedom from stick-slip thus allowing reliable torquing of plated threads, can be dyed to many colors and clear, has good lubricity and solderability, and works well either as a final finish or as a paint base.[5][7]

1 Like

Maybe. Wish I new. It looks similar in color to some Titanium Nitride parts I have seen.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I thought. :smile:

1 Like

Then why didn’t you mention it earlier?

Eh, didn’t have anything interesting to say, I guess.

I’m pretty sure if either of the two female graduates beat the holy-living-crap out of any of the armchair jockeys who are saying they got a free pass, those critics might change their tune.

It’s worth a shot anyway. (Hey, “reality TV” is always looking for new concepts, and I know plenty of people who would tune in for that.)

2 Likes

I agree, hence my tag-on regarding the principle being expressed. I was thinking that, at the very least, these two women were likely to rise in the rank structure and that they would soon share in the decision making of their particular units now, and others in the future. It’s not the fast way to an egalitarian social structure at large, to be sure, but it broadens the reach and power of decisions made by women, and it only helps to advance the cause of female military members as a whole.

2 Likes

No, but the point is that finally there will be at least some women in the position to make the decisions instead of being barred from the process.

1 Like

& @Mister44, still likeliest to be cad plating. Cadmium is used on bolt threads. You don’t really need a hardening agent there; you do need an anti-slip coating when precise torquing is needed (which applies to most aircraft uses).

2 Likes

How can I tell for sure? If I suck on it for a few hours and feel sick it’s cadmium? Though I may have a tolerance for it from exposure to old oil paints.

Agreed, I have had a friend walk me through what he did in Ranger school a few years back it sounds like you at least get the physical stress you might experience in most combat situations and a heck of a lot of mental stress too. Plenty of qualified soldiers fail. maybe some of the special forces trainings are more challenging, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t looking at a school that selects thousands out of hundreds of thousands based on merit.

1 Like