Toymaker to produce line of plastic army women

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/16/toymaker-to-produce-line-of-pl.html

6 Likes

Ah good, something I can buy for my nieces to help indoctrinate them into the Just War narrative and make sure they’re ready to play ball when our government next chooses to touch off another batch of Imperialist Hijinks!

21 Likes

Howcumzit the new toy soldiers are not wearing the new Kevlar helmets? There were no female combat infantry officers or enlisted troops in Vietnam!

1 Like

OK. I’m ready for the right wing outrage in 5… 4… 3…

3 Likes

The Viet Cong did indeed recruit women into combat roles.

21 Likes

well!
dusts off hands
between this and ms. monopoly, looks like women are equal now! good work, everyone, glad that’s taken care of. i’ll be in my armchair while you finish the dishes.

4 Likes

Yes, we a striving toward equality for women in toys people played with fifty years ago.

4 Likes

I can’t be the only one who thought this was going to be about Games Workshop finally making plastic Sisters of Battle for Warhammer 40k

8 Likes

Me: Thanks for being inclusive of women! Us guys shouldn’t have all the fun!

Also me: Wait, this is where you equalize? Really?

Also also me: You know what? F**k it. More women with bazookas in this world might not be the worst thing.

20 Likes

I’d play with those.

4 Likes

If they want to be inclusive, what they REALLY need to add is a collection of figures doing the sorts of rear-echelon work most soldiers spend their time doing: Fixing trucks, briefing power points, filing requisition paperwork, that sort of thing.

12 Likes

The original green army guys were based off of WWII designs.

OR, will it be left wing outrage for perpetuating the normality of an imperialist military?

Yes, yes, we all saw Full Metal Jacket :wink:

So did the Russians, specifically as snipers. Israeli women serve combat roles.

1 Like

Maybe. But as someone who kept playing with toy soldiers we also learn that it really sucks and the odds of YOU surviving are not good and maybe there really is a better way to do things. None of the tabletop gamers I played with, doubly so for the vets thought that it being real would be fun.

I would buy these… And have them smash the patriarchy!

11 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Female posts

When I was big into paintball, some of the regulars were either in ROTC at the college, or serving at the nearby Ft Riley. Not sure how we got on the subject, but each “job” has some sort of attrition rating. Like one guy was a gunner on a tank and was expected to last like 15 min in a battle or something like that.

5 Likes

right? and what about the green army veterans, being denied mental health claims, going to court for assault charges, trying to find a ride to the v.a.

5 Likes

So… Progress :question: :thinking:

(/s, in case that is not apparent)

4 Likes

Translation:

“Thanks to Fleet Master Chief Orloff, I was supplied with an idea that could boost toy sales, but it got shelved due to budget constraints vs actual profit. Once there seemed to be the possibility we could actually make a profit on this, we decided to go into production.”

Hoo-rah for feminism. /s

10 Likes

I always thought it would be ‘fun,’ as an art project, to make some army figures with horrific injuries, along with civilian casualties, weeping mothers, etc., and add them into the packages.

6 Likes

How do we know at least some of those army “men” aren’t already women? Since they’re wearing army fatigues there’s no way to tell for sure.

2 Likes