Raquel Welch, star of Fantastic Voyage and many other movie classics, dead at 82

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/02/15/raquel-welch-star-of-fantastic-voyage-and-many-other-movie-classics-dead-at-82.html

12 Likes
20 Likes

RIP Miss Fuzzy Britches.

11 Likes

What a shame, though Rachel Welch did have a good run. I always enjoyed seeing her on the screen. She could have done with some better material, but she always brought some class to her parts. “Kansas City Bomber” is a great film, with a nail-biting ending, in the manner of “Southern Comfort”.

13 Likes

wow. i has a sad.
RIP, Ms. Welch. loved you since i was a child.
@euansmith Kansas City Bomber should be cinematically studied alongside James Caan in Rollerball. loved both.

13 Likes

She could be a little intimidating…

RIP.

15 Likes

Such is the fate of those whose talents are overlooked because of physical aspects. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

When we were kids we watched roller derby every Saturday night at my grandma’s, she let us stay up past our bedtime just for roller derby.

That was a great movie I had complete forgot about.

I’m putting Kansas City Bomber on my watch list for this weekend.

Along with Fantastic Voyage.

12 Likes

… she was a genre movie star in an era when those genres didn’t get much respect—and exceptions like 2001 didn’t cast women in speaking roles :thinking:

4 Likes

I watched Rollerball a couple of weeks ago.
Never heard of Kansas City Bomber, I’ll give it a look for contrast, thanks :+1:

5 Likes

The article left out what was surely her best sci-fi performance! Or at least her funniest :laughing: RIP Ms. Welch

7 Likes

TIL her son lives just down the road from us in Jefferson City.

4 Likes

She had a small but iconic memorable role in the original Bedazzled in 1967, playing one of the seven deadly sins.

5 Likes

Let’s not forget she won a “Best Actress” Golden Globe for The Three Musketeers— the 1973 Richard Lester version.

10 Likes

That one (or two, I can’t recall if she was in both) showed she could be quite good at physical comedy, although, I don’t recall her doing much more later.

5 Likes
4 Likes

The best version.

3 Likes

I’ve removed a few posts and replies referring to Ms. Welch as an object of sexual gratification. From my understanding of her life and career, she was very much a sex symbol and indeed helped define what a sex symbol was (beyond the “blond bombshell” that came before) for many Americans and perhaps around the world) and further showed that said sex-symbols could also have roles as powerful Women at the same time. From all accounts I’ve found, she was proud of that fact, and I think that’s very much an appropriate topic of conversation.

But that’s not all she was in life or now in death, and it’s not appropriate to reduce her to a crude object of sexual gratification in comments here.

Thanks.

14 Likes

Vanessa Hudgens Bravo GIF by FOX TV

8 Likes

She also had a small role in the 1977 adaptation of The Prince And The Pauper. But she seems like she took every role, no matter the number of lines or amount of screen time, seriously, so she gave depth and presence to a character who could have just been in the background.

6 Likes