Rare photos of North Korean capital's subway system

But if you invest in proper infrastructure you can deplete the addled suburbs until they seem like the rural image they always promised. Also what standard of living are you using? Commuting lessens any standard of living considerably for most people, particularly the vast majority that don’t like it. The few that do could probably find the same sanctuary in a basement wood working shop or otherwise engaged in whatever hobby they could use that time for. (Oft heard defense of commute “It’s my time, alone time to think etc”)

People that manage to either live car-free, or earn enough that a car isn’t a burden, so they have one, can lead glorious lives in the city with all it has to offer. You get more of it if you don’t have to leave everyday.

I’ve lived in picture perfect examples of all three, urban, suburb and rural, and boy howdy suburbs were the worst by far. All my neighbours trying to buy a life at the box store and build walls and moats when at home.

2 Likes

Startup idea: like Über, but for North Koreans!

1 Like

www.Undër.kp?

Using barbecue-powered taxis?

They’re already there.

In Cuba we ended up having to get a lift to Vinales from Havana with a dude who had a van (a blue-and-silver version of the A-Team’s van). All unofficial, of course. The guy stopped along the way to pick up and drop off several police officers and soldiers - so I guess the ‘non-system’ kind of works out for everyone. This, to me, is infinitely preferable to installing some other startup whiz-kid Uberlord.

4 Likes

TIL there’s a Lonely Planet for North Korea. Don’t know why but that surprised me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.